Wifi for chipkit Max32

bisraelwalter

Question

Hello,

I have a chipkit max 32 with the PICMX795F512L and I was looking for a good recommendation for adding wifi to it. I saw that there was a shield that is retired. This is for a project and I can't use the Arduino IDE so I'm trying to find something compatible with libraries so I don't have to bit-bang my way through. I tried an ATWINC1500 using harmony in MPLAB but it wouldn't set up correctly and the examples don't include using this board. I also don't have the time to figure it out, I just need something that works with this board where I can use the libraries to setup quickly. 

4 answers to this question

Hi @bisraelwalter,

Most of the libraries that we have for WiFi material will be using Arduino IDE and I don't believe we have anything that takes advantage of WiFi for MPLABX, so I do not know if this will help you, but there is a Pmod WiFi with some examples built into the Arduino IDE as well as some libraries for MPIDE available on the Pmod WiFi Resource Center.

I don't think any of the Digilent team as used an ATWINC1500, so we don't have any advice on that.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the reply. I read that there is a way to port the Arduino through chipKit and into MPLAB. I could probably get away with that since the Arduino would handle the wifi and the rest of our code in MPLAB. Is that reasonable? If I could do that, would you have a recommendation?

Hi @bisraelwalter,

I'm not super familiar with porting Arudino code through to MPLAB but it should be possible, based on this blog post here, where it looks like you need a system.h file specific to the Max32 PIC32 chip, but I don't believe we have this file. We do have a hardware.c/.h (which I believe serves the same purpose) for the Basys MX3 that is used for the Pmod CAN (Resource Center link) that would probably be a good reference to work from.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hey JColvin,

I appreciate the help even though it wasn't exactly the answer I was looking for (I was hoping for you to say, "Yeah, just use this wifi board"), it did help lead me to find the answer. I was able to use the ATWINC1500 with my Arduino Uno board following this https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-atwinc1500-wifi-module-breakout/wiring-and-test

Now I will port the code into MPLAB so I can load it on my Max 32 that I got from you guys. I'm pretty confident it will work.

Thanks again,

Brandon 

Archived