WaveForms - Protocol Analyzer - Spy Mode with Time Stamp

DanielD

Question

Hi all,

in the past I was working in several companies with a Beagle and the Data Center Software from Total Phase. Due to the promising features of the Digital Discovery I would like to buy a Digital Discovery and work with it in the future.

But there is one function still missing which I could not find after an extensive internet and forum research.

I'm used to do long e.g. SPI recordings for example of hardware initialization phases. For this purpose it is important to have not only the transferred data but additional information in the logging window. The Data Center Software from Total Phase e.g. looks like the following:

datacenterv4.00_small.jpg.69b55d1cabd3ca70ba4b8d50b08a6f30.jpg

Not all of the above columns are required. But at least the Time stamp (m:s.ms.us), Error, and Data Column would be necessary.

I tried to implement this function in the WaveForms Script Mode with the help of this post:

This works fine for reading and writing data in Master Mode and showing the actual time. But how can this be implemented in Spy Mode together with an error indication?

This feature was already mentioned in this post:

If this final issue is solved the Digital Discovery will be quickly in my cart and ordered.. ?

Best regards,

Daniel.

4 answers to this question

Hi @DanielD

Currently the Logic Analyzer View/Event shows the events (like SPI words, I2C start, stop, bytes) and time stamps of these relative to trigger position, at selected sample rate precision.

The Protocol tool only stores the meaningful bits/transitions for the selected protocol without time information. 

The date-time stamps with script represent the computer time, indicating the time of the raw data acquisition, with precision depending on the capture size down to a few ms.

I have noted to add new views for the Logic Analyzer and Protocol tools with the suggested layout.

Thank you for the request but unfortunately I can't give you date when these will be implemented.

Hello Attila,

I switched to AD2 for 1.8V logic supporting. I built a level shifter board for Beagle but it seems burden. Do you still have a plan to add time stamps to the exported CSV or TXT files in protocol tool in default so that we can calculate data rates of the communications?

Thank you and Best regards,

Wayne Chen
06/18/2020

Thank you Attila,

Now we have time stamps on start with every data packages so that we can calculate delay time between commands and commands. Nice to have time stamps on stops hence we can calculate actual clock rate of each I2C and SPI data frame.

2557.png.9907e7bc9d2bcc894c0e5957cfb675da.png

Thank you and Best regards,

Wayne Chen
06/20/2020

Archived