External antenna CHIPKIT WIFIRE

vgomez

Question

Hi, I'm Vicente Gómez, electronic equipment development engineer, destined to automotive industrial sector.
I’m currently working with the ChipKit Wifire card model, which has a built-in Microchip communication module MRF24WG0MA Wifi with integrated PCB antenna.

imagen.png.5e52a4528ebe3b1a737c347d6c964c34.png

For the environment in which I work, I need to mount an external Wifi antenna, so the ideal solution is to have the MRF24WG0MB module. This is not the case. So I need to adapt the MRF24WG0MA to an external antenna. Is this possible?
If so, what modification do I have to do in the MRF24WG0MA module?
No problem regarding manufacturer certifications. I take care of it, but I need this modification.
Could you help me?

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

for a lab prototype I wouldn't think twice, cut the upwards-facing trace with a scalpel and attach a thin semirigid coax wire.

Most likely it is not 50 ohms so performance will be impaired somewhat, but then I bet the VSWR seen by the module in a real-world application is also this side of infinity...

Let's hope someone from Digilent comments, but the module seems to be approaching EOL anyway ("not recommended for new designs"), not sure how much I would realistically expect

image.png.be01806be29bda7f735dcb9933aa912b.png

Thank  for your answer. I'm going to try soldering a UFL connector (50ohm) in J1 pads and cut the track as you tell me.

I'm working in modbus tcp via wifi communication project, and in industrial environment the pcb antenna has little gain when it's installed inside of autmation's metallic enclosures. I need an external antenna in the cabinets. It is a problem that the Wifire doesn't come with the wifi module MRF24WG0MB.

thanks again.

Archived