Large number of pins

AHMED.M20010

Question

I need in my project like 80 pins to send pulses to IGBT and motors sensors is there any board can Achieve this mr .Sergiu advice me to use any board with fmc  board but i cant use it because there is no module can convert to pmod . i hope any one have a solution and thank you 

2 answers to this question

Hi Ahmed,

I'm not sure if this board will work for you, but since you need ~80 pins (rather than over 100) you might be able to use the chipKIT Max32 (product page here, Resource Center here) since it has 83 I/O pins. 

However, I don't know how many of those pins are dedicated towards any specific modules on the PIC32 chip, but it should be possible in principle. You will need to be aware that you will not be able to sink or source more than 200 mA across all of those pins simultaneously and I'm not sure how strict you would need your timing, but as this is a microcontroller, you will not be able to have things operate in parallel very easily.

Otherwise, you will either need to use multiple boards or use an I/O expander such as a MUX, a shift register, or something like the PmodIOXP to get additional I/O pins. Naturally this is presuming that all of these components that you have in your project need to be controlled individually and that none of them will be operating identically; otherwise you could always use the same I/O signal for two components that need the same signal pattern.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived