Quad SPI-Flash configuration on Arty s7-50 board

Etienne Drouin

Question

Hi,

I've been trying to configure my Arty s7-50 board so that i don't have to reprogram the FPGA each time I reset the FPGA or power it. I think that programming the SPI-Flash of the board could do the work, I found a few tutorial but they are outdated or doesn't work. Here what I've tried so far:

I didn't see to change the constraint file in any tutorial but I'm quite sure it can't work if I don't remove the comment for the Quad SPI Flash so I did it (set the property for the qspi_cs and the qspi_dq). I synthesized my design and opened the implementation to edit the device properties. In the device properties, I went to configuration and enabled SPI 32-bit address style and put the Bus width to 4 (I saw that in a vivado quicktake tutorial but wasn't quite like). After that I generated the Bitstream and plugged my board. After that I use the auto connect feature and finally I click on add configuration memory device. I'm now blocked... I don't know the configuration memory part of this board. I've looked everywhere and can't find this information. 

I don't even know if what I've done so far is correct. Any help is welcomed. Here's a few other information : I'm using Vivado 2018.2.1 on Windows 10 and the board is the Arty S7-50 revision B.

Thank you and sorry for the bad english

Étienne Drouin

1 answer to this question

Hi @Etienne Drouin,

Here is the Arty-S7 reference manual. In Section 4 Quad-SPI Flash it says that "FPGA configuration files can be written to the Quad-SPI Flash (Spansion part number S25FL128S)".  Here is an older tutorial that should help you program the flash on the Arty-S7 from vivado's hardware manager. Here is an older tutorial that should help you program the flash from sdk if you have a microblaze project.

thank you,

Jon

Archived