basic Linux component to boot up

Phong

Question

Hi,

This is a fairly trivial question.  But links on the documents are broken.  I just get a Zybo board.  All I want is to boot Linux with the bootloader from SD card and use ramfs (or any of its derivative like initramfs, ramdisk, etc.).  Looking at Getting Started With Embedded Linux - ZedBoard with revision: Jan 13, 2013, the link www.digilentinc.com/zedboard points to more of a sell's man folks rather than technical folks.  Under "Using a BusyBox Ramdisk", where can I find "ZedBoard_Linux_Design/sd_image/ramdisk8M.image.gz?

Under "Obtaining the BOOT.BIN File", again, the same link.  Where do I get a prebuilt BOOT.BIN for Zybo board?

On a separte note, I also use PetaLinux from Xilinx to generate BOOT.BIN successfully and copied to SD Card for boot from SD Card.  At this time I see nothing on the console.  I already make the change on the jumper JP5 to boot from SD card and the SD Card is formatted to FAT32.

Advice along with pointers to where can I get the doc. or what I need to read next.

Phong.

10 answers to this question

Hi Phong,

On that page you are landing on (here), partway down the page you will see a box labeled as Support Materials. If you go to the Resource Center link (here), there is a zip file for the Out of Box SD card image and source in that first link under Demonstration Projects. That'll have the two files you're looking for inside of the "sd_image" folder in the zip file.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the pointer.  Upon further reading, the doc. is for Zed Board.  What I have is a ZYBO board.  The link for "Using the Prebuilt Linux Image":
https://reference.digilentinc.com/zybo:linux_quickstart

is Under Construction.  Can you point me to where I can get the prebuilt image?

BTW: I use the prebuilt image for the ZedBoard from the link you provided and nothing shows up.  By that, there is no U-Boot log at all when compared to Boot from Flash.  I do see a few "funny character" on my Tera Term settings to 115200 baud rate with 8n1 settings.  I also see a few "funny characters" if I press the Reset button twice.

Phong.

Another thing, according to https://reference.digilentinc.com/zybo:gsg

Step 5 of the instruction states to select "Zybo" like below:

zybo:default_part.png?w=600&tok=b31d2a

However, I am using Vivado 2015.4 and don't see a Zybo choice.  What should I do?

Is there a pre-built .hdf file for code compilation?

Another question is, is there a BOOT.BIN (sd image) without the need for .bit file.  I just want something that boots up without first going through the tutorial of creating the design and compiling code.

Phong.

Hi Phong,

You would be able to see the Zybo option in the list after installing it's board file

I'm not sure what you mean by a pre-built .hdf file -- I'm not familiar with that file extension.

I don't believe anything that directly gets you going, but you can partition your SD card (detailed in our ZYBOt guide starting here) and once it's partitioned you will be able to copy the appropriate files over to the SD card including the BOOT.BIN (the files are available for download at end of step 2)  You won't need to compile anything.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks J. Colvin.  My problem is trying to create a hdf file, a file interfacing between sw and hw after FPGA engineers generate the bitstream, so I can build my Bootloaders+linux.  I strongly suggest you guys should mention where to get the "board files" in the tutorial when a newbie first read the tutorial and didn't see it as an option.  Saves a lot of time.

Another question is how to add -g for FSBL + U-boot during compilation so symbols are added in the .elf file.  Where do I have to change?  I am using PetaLinux from Xilinx.

For Kernel, this link http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_6/SDK_Doc/tasks/sdk_t_tcf_attach_debug_linux_kernel_tcf.htm

provide assistance.  My question is where can I change in the menu config?  I can perform grep+find to edit them but I would like a nice interface.  I don't see Kernel Hacking and Kernel Debugging anywhere in my main menu after typing petalinux-config.

Phong.

Hi Phong,

This has moved beyond my personal realm of expertise so I've asked some of our applications engineers about this (and moved this thread to a more appropriate section on the forum). They'll get back to you here on the forum.

I agree that all of our tutorials should include some sort of hint to get the board files installed for the FPGA (this was actually in step 1 of the Zybo Getting Started Guide), but I'll put in a request to make sure all of the other tutorials have this as well.

Thanks,
JColvin

Sorry about the "Board files" issue.  I skipped Step 1 b/c since I already have Vivado installed previously; so that's where the issue comes from.  It would be nice to mention in the tutorial where user select Zybo board and it's not in the pulldown menu, then go to step 1b or somehow providing a link for them to install the board files and restart Vivado.

Hi Phong,

I'm sorry for this taking so long to get back to you. It was recommended that I relay the following information to you.

On 3/3/2016 at 1:43 AM, Cristian.Fatu said:

Unfortunately the Getting started with Linux on Zedboard procedure on Digilent website is pretty obsolete.

So my suggestion is this:

The procedure is explained here: https://wiki.analog.com/resources/tools-software/linux-drivers/platforms/zynq#build_and_install_the_kernel_image
Basically, you have to:
-    Prepare partitions on your SD card

-   One fat32 partition called BOOT
-  One ext4 partition called rootfs

-    Build the boot image (BOOT.BIN file)
-    Place (copy) files on fat32 partition
-    Get the file system from linaro.org
-    Place the file system on ext4 partition
Please use a good quality SD card (SANDISK class 10 for example).

Does this help (I'm not familiar with this bit of getting Linux up and running, so I'm personally not able to determine if it helps)?

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived