JTAG-HS2 software to program SPI devices

Eric Thompson

Question

We have a couple JTAG-HS2 devices that we are using to program FPGAs.

I see on the Digilent site that the JTAG-HS2 also has an SPI mode. I have an SPI flash part that I would like to program, a Microchip 25AA256-I/SN. 

What I can't find is any software for using the JTAG-HS2 for SPI programming. I see mention of the SPI mode in the software SDK. 

Does Digilent have software for programming SPI devices using the JTAG-HS2?

Thanks.

2 answers to this question

Hi Eric,

I don't know this for certain, but I believe the Adept software with the SDK will let you program SPI devices with the JTAG-HS2. You can download Adept 2 and the SDK from its Resource Center page here. I haven't personally used this before though, so I'll ask some of our applications engineers about this and they'll get back to you here on the forum.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Eric,

You can use Xilinx's Vivado to program the Quad SPI Flash on many Digilent boards. A tutorial for loading a configuration file, so that the board will program itself on startup, is found at https://reference.digilentinc.com/nexys-video:pg in step 5. To my knowledge, this is achievable with any board that both works with Vivado and has QSPI Flash.

I haven't personally attempted to load non-bitstream files onto the Quad SPI Flash, but worst case, you could create a project to transfer data through the FPGA. A possible solution would be to set up a Microblaze processor and use an AXI Quad SPI module - to communicate with the flash memory - as well as an AXI UARTLite module - to receive your data from a PC. Each of these modules are provided by Xilinx in the Vivado IP Integrator.

Thanks,

Arthur Brown

Archived