Arty A7 and Arty S7

glhearn

Question

Hi please can someone highlight the differences between the Arty A7 and Arty S7.

I wish to target the Spartan 7, however I am using tools which only presently support the Artix 7 (Matlab & Simulink and associated supported Vivado version).  The devices appear similar, where the Artix has transceiver blocks that the Spartan does not.

I wish to be able to develop on the Artix 7 (Arty A7) which is currently supported, and then switch to the Spartan 7 once the tools are up to date or the final implementation is ready, whichever comes first.  I am assuming I will be able to do this?

The development boards appear almost identical.  Are they?

George 

2 answers to this question

Hi,

the main difference (in my point of view) is that Arty S7 doesn't have any Ethernet connection. (Why?)

When I develop signal processing stuff etc in Matlab and test them on hardware I use TCP/IP to AXI4 streams, so for me S7 is not usable.

Cheers

Hi @glhearn,

The Spartan S7-50 does not have the GTP transceivers as shown in the Artix A7 and Spartan S7 product tables .  The Arty-A7 and the Arty-S7 are similar but have some differences. Here are the resource centers for the Arty-A7 and Arty-S7.  You might be able to develop in the Arty-A7 to later use on the Arty-S7. Depends on what type of project you are designing.

thank you,

Jon

Archived