hdmi rgb2dvi i2c zybo

nasajohnc

Question

Hi,

I have successfully built and run the zybo-10 "rgb2dvi" demo (vivado 2016.4). I now want to modify it and use parts of it in my own design.

But I can't figure out how to use the "HDMI_DDC" outputs (I2C port). I can't find any mention or use of this I2C port in the provided code "display_demo" .

I know the DDC port is supposed to be used to communicate HDMI display parameters and capabilities, but I just can't find the C code that is doing this.

So I'm thinking that maybe using the DDC is not absolutely necessary and is just provided for future use;   as long as you provide good /compatible video out to the monitor

it should work without DDC communication.

Is my assumption correct here - is the DDC I2C not really being utilized in this design? And if it IS being used - where is the C code that drives it?

Here is the design I'm using:

https://github.com/Digilent/Zybo-hdmi-out

Thanks,

John

1 answer to this question

Hi @nasajohnc,

I learned that the DDC portion of this project is not necessary for this demo to be operational. My understanding, as it looks like you are aware of as well, is that it's to provide the controller with some information so that ideal timing can be created, but if you have provided the proper timing in other ways, you should be good to go without it.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived