JTAG-SMT2 Programming Module

mortuzahasan

Question

Hi,

We are using JTAG-SMT2 programming module in our application where Xlinx device is being programmed directly using Xlinx application. routing was done from module to JTAG core of FPGA and no XLINX 14 pin header were extended. we need to use a thrid party JTAG application (for production test). is there any way to make a cable or available which would connect micro USB port of programming module to 14 pin xlinx header? any custom made cable diagram would also be helpful. Thanks

3 answers to this question

On 6/13/2018 at 8:03 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @mortuzahasan,

If you are just looking for a module that goes from a micro USB to Xilinx's 14-pin JTAG header, the JTAG HS2 will likely be what you are looking for.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin

we need to use external JTAG device which generates test signals through 4 wires, we already have JTAG_SMT mounted in our application which we connect through computer to program target, we need to drive the xlinx target with that external 3rd party JTAG hardware to drive the jatg chain

would JTAG_HS2 work in this intance?

our goal is

External JTAG Dongle ---> JTAG_HS2 -->JTAG_SMT2 ----> Xlinx FPGA

We need to drive the FPGA through External Dongle.

Hi @mortuzahasan,

I apologize for the delay; if you are already have the test signals being generated through 4 wires from the external JTAG dongle, you might want to look at the Pmod LVLSHFT since that can receive the four signals through wires and then have them sent out to a Xilinx styled JTAG header.

Admittedly, I am a little confused at what you are hoping to accomplish though since the diagram you provided shows the flow going back through the JTAG SMT2 which I believe already has the USB header and is integrated into your FPGA system. Are you wanting to have two separate programming routes to two different locations on the final board or two different inputs to the same output? I've tried to illustrate what I mean below:

Two separate programming routes:
JTAG SMT2 --> Xilinx FPGA spot 1
External dongle --> JTAG HS2 --> Xilinx FPGA spot 2

Branched input to single location:
JTAG SMT2 ---------------> Xilinx FPGA
				^
External dongle --> JTAG HS2 -->^

Or was the illustration you gave with the HS2 talking to the JTAG SMT2 accurate? The HS2 and SMT2 are both designed to take the datastream over USB and convert it to a usable data format for the Xilinx FPGA; I don't believe either of them will just let pre-made signals pass through.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived