Pmod IP cores without soft/hardcores

Jay Seo

Question

Hi, I am a graduate engineer currently trying to design a system that can read from temperature sensors then send data to PC (Win10)over a wifi connection. I will be using Basys3 FPGA board along with relevant Pmods (wifi, etc) and DS18B20 temp sensors. I found out that there are IP cores for Pmods (supplied by digilent) that I can use for my design. The problem is that every tutorial and reference I found needs the IP cores to be connected to soft/hardcores  such as microblaze. Initially I expected my design to be fully written in VHDL, but now it seems like I need to learn C to talk to microblaze. I am still learning and do not have much experience in designing a complex system like this one, I really need some guidance. Is it possible to design this system only using VHDL without employing microblaze which has to use C language? If yes, is it going to be too hard for a fresh starter? Could you suggest any tutorial/reference/IP that are similar or relevant to what I'm trying to achieve? Thank you so much in advance.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Jay Seo,

The Pmod WFI would be very complicated to get going using HDL(Verilog/VHDL). I believe It will be easier to learn more about C and then how to alter the HTTPServer demo for the Pmod WIFI IP Core to send data to the pc. Here is a forum that might be helpful. Here is the Basys 3's resource center. I would suggest to go through the tutorial if you haven't yet.

thank you,

Jon

@Jay Seo

I am not sure you well thought your project from the start to the end. The sensor is very good one but it's quite complicated digital piece of equipment. Since you want to learn I would suggest to implement your project on Arduino which has plenty of tutorials and demos. Then you will understand better details of your project and best way to finish it.

Engineers usually pick tools and components that help them to accomplish their goals faster and cheaper. I am not sure that Basys 3 and HDL are optimal for the task you described.

Archived