request for more detail on trigger bus and triggering

darth458

Question

Any chance for more detail on the trigger bus? There's a little diagram in the reference manual but it doesn't give clarity about how many lines there are. There's a PC trigger line and they say that it puts out a "short pulse" but nothing about its height in volts. Do I need to concern myself with the details of that pulse or does it suffice to say trigsrcPC? Can I assume that it will trigger the AnalogIn with no other parameter information or do I need to connect the analog in to a particular wire in order to see it? What does it mean to say that a device trigger is set to high impedance? There are two lines on the connector that are marked as triggers. Are they always inputs and what levels are required?  There is a lot of necessary circuit detail about the analog input but the documentation about the triggering has to be inferred and interpolated from a combination of the documentation and the examples.

thanks

1 answer to this question

Hi @darth458

The triggersrcExternal# (Trigger: External #) are the trigger IO lines of the device. These are by default inputs but can be configured to output other trigger lines with FDwfDeviceTriggerSet (under Settings/Options in the application).
The triggersrcPC (Trigger: Manual) is an internal device trigger line which is activated FDwfDeviceTriggerPC (Manual Trigger button or under Settings menu or Ctrl+T in the application).
The triggersrcAnalog/DigitalIn/Out... are also internal triggers which output high when the respective instrument is running (analog/digital-out running or analog/digital-in is in post-trigger capture Trig'd/Auto).
The trigsrcDetectorAnalog/DigitalIn represent outputs of the dedicated trigger detectors on analog-in and digital-in channels. 

The trigger source for an instruments can be set to any of the above lines like: analog-in (Scope) can be triggered by analog-out (Wavegen), multiple instruments can be triggered by the same trigger line...

Archived