Moving to Linux

Count0

Question

Hi all,

i'm moving my development environment to Ubuntu. Last things I'm struggling with are Xilinx WebISE and the JTAG-HS3 programmer.

All worked fine under W7pro. But WebISE performs traumatically on Ubuntu. WebISE was designed to run on RedHat and SUSE but it runs there far from flawless.

So I put up a W7 in VirtualBox on Ubuntu and got WebISE running fine again. But when forwarding the JTAG-HS3 to the VM, the VM got killed immediately.

I can live with this situation if I knew how to operate JTAG-HS3 on Linux, to upload a bitstream to my FPGA.

So my questions boil down to:

• Where can I find a user manual about how to use the Adept software for Linux. I haven't found it on the Digilent website?
  • Does anyone know how to stop VirtualBox VM's crashing when connected to a JTAG-HS3 programmer?

Thanks in advance

7 answers to this question

Speaking of third party solutions, we have an open-source utility for programming Xilinx FPGAs. It starts up and runs faster than the Xilinx tool and only requires libusb in order to run. It works from Linux and Mac. It appears there is a libusb for Windows, so someone could probably get it working on Windows also. We're always happy to see a pull request. :)

https://github.com/cambridgehackers/fpgajtag

Thank you jamey.hicks,

Being an open source enthusiast I've never considered VMWare. Now I can connect my JTAG-HS3 to ISE on a W7 VM ! This is a big advancement. Thank you so much!

Thank you sam60,

I'll wont give up. What programmer/download cable did you use?

Best regards.

Hey Jamey Hicks

Thanks for your   https://github.com/cambridgehackers/fpgajtag project.  I have been hacking on it to try to solve my issue with djtgcfg issues on an Anvyl board. 

fpgajtag recognized my Anvyl board straight after a build. 

I have some 'patches' to allow it to recognize basys2 and nexys3 boards if you would like them. 

I presume that that the fpgajtag tool is not intended to be 'Series 7 Only', but that testing has been limited to Series 7, is that a fair assessment?

Gary  

Archived