EEVblog #1056 - Digilent Open Scope MZ Review

Hi,

I have watched. I think he hadn't spent much time on waveformslive before the video ( I think because he was not much happy about it's not integrated to the Waveforms standalone). One thing, he missed that the pin coloring is available on the page so you don't have to memorize them. But, also, He has raised some important points about WaveFormsLive like the absence of protocol decoding and phase shift diagram.

It was also a good review. Dave knows a loooot about electronics.

• 3 weeks later...

I requested added logic analysis support a while ago in THIS thread where Kristoff posted a link to the change request for implementing it, if people would  go there and +1 it it might happen at some point.

I'm generally a bit divided about Dave's reviews. Everything concerning circuits, PCB-design and analog solutions he is top notch about, not so IMO when it comes to digital stuff and where he really drops the ball quite often (sometimes face-palmingly so) is when it comes to any product with a PC interface where he often misses very obvious stuff and where it's always obvious he haven't used the software for more than what it takes to screencap the video nor has he ever read a manual it seems. I get that he has a lot of stuff on his table, and when it comes to reviews about the stuff he really knows his approach where he basically doesn't know a thing about the product when shooting starts and then picks everything up while shooting works really well and is both spontaneous and something to learn from, but some things really requires a reviewer to spend a certain amount of time with the product to understand it, and this is where Dave often fails, as in this case. Like I said, this is likely an effect of having to little time to spend and that is ok, but I think in that case he might reconsider doing reviews of the sort at all.

Archived