What to go with Max32?

Jack Z

Question

Hi I am interested in buying a chipKIT Max32™ Prototyping Platform(part number 410-202P-KIT). However, since this is the first time that I use chipKIT, I have some questions about it. 

First of all I wonder whether I need to buy something else along with Max32 or not? Does it have an evaluation board or development kit with it? Or should I buy it separately?

Also, do I need some additional processes or parts (like an adaptor board) to run Max32? 

At last, I wonder how it can be synchronized with an external clock and how to adjust the frequency that it runs please? 

Thanks, 

Jack

4 answers to this question

Hi Jack Z,

The chipKIT Max32 is a great product to have and get started with the chipKIT products. Another product I would recommend you should look at is the chipKIT WF32. But that's not what you were asking about. So, with out further ado lets take a look at the Max32.

The Max32 comes ready to be programmed. All you have to do is download the latest version of  Mpide. One of the cool things about the Max32 is that is compatible with existing Arduino code. So if you have any experience with coding an Arduino then coding in Mpide will be simple. You would need to get a USB A to usb mini B cable to connect to the Max32. When you do go to purchase the board the website will ask if you want to purchase a chipKIT Starter Kit at a discounted price. The starter kit will help you get started with making your own projects.

There's also tons of resources at your disposal. You can look at our wikipages which have reference pages and schematics and sometimes projects. You can also check the forums and ask us any questions you have. There is also a big following for the chipKITs at their website. Also there is whole learn module site where Digilent puts all their projects and show you how to accomplish certain concepts.

For any extra boards you might need, it depends on what you plan to do with the board. Depending on the project you plan to do will help determine what other boards (if it turns out you need any) you will need.

As for synchronizing to an external clock you can do that with an chipKIT product. here are some websites that I found that can help you learn how to do that. Here's one from the chipKIT forum. Here's one from our Learn website which is about Pro and Serial Communication.

I hope this helps. If I didn't answer all of your questions or if you need more answers feel free to contact me when ever. Good luck with your decision.

Have a Great Day,

Bobby

Hi Jack Z,

The chipKIT Max32 is a great product to have and get started with the chipKIT products. Another product I would recommend you should look at is the chipKIT WF32. But that's not what you were asking about. So, with out further ado lets take a look at the Max32.

The Max32 comes ready to be programmed. All you have to do is download the latest version of  Mpide. One of the cool things about the Max32 is that is compatible with existing Arduino code. So if you have any experience with coding an Arduino then coding in Mpide will be simple. You would need to get a USB A to usb mini B cable to connect to the Max32. When you do go to purchase the board the website will ask if you want to purchase a chipKIT Starter Kit at a discounted price. The starter kit will help you get started with making your own projects.

There's also tons of resources at your disposal. You can look at our wikipages which have reference pages and schematics and sometimes projects. You can also check the forums and ask us any questions you have. There is also a big following for the chipKITs at their website. Also there is whole learn module site where Digilent puts all their projects and show you how to accomplish certain concepts.

For any extra boards you might need, it depends on what you plan to do with the board. Depending on the project you plan to do will help determine what other boards (if it turns out you need any) you will need.

As for synchronizing to an external clock you can do that with an chipKIT product. here are some websites that I found that can help you learn how to do that. Here's one from the chipKIT forum. Here's one from our Learn website which is about Pro and Serial Communication.

I hope this helps. If I didn't answer all of your questions or if you need more answers feel free to contact me when ever. Good luck with your decision.

Have a Great Day,

Bobby

Thanks a lot Bobby! That was very helpful. 

Hi Jack Z,

Have a Great Day,

Bobby

Actually, does it come with an evaluation board please? 

J. 

Archived