Digital Discovery Intermittent Communication Problem

RoofTiles

Question

I purchased a Digital Discovery a couple of weeks ago. I am having real problems with it as I regularly get a 'Communication with the device failed' error reported. The error code seems to be, 'DptilO failed ERC: 0xA'.

At first it was about once a day, but it's got worse and now it's every hour, or even more often. It takes ages to recover, sometimes I end up stopping the 'task'. I can't discover what particular thing that I do that triggers it, if anything.

I've tried changing the USB cable and the USB port. I've tried it with less input lines setup.

I've installed the software (Version: 2015 (3.6.8) 64-bit), uninstalled it and reinstalled it, to be sure nothing is corrupted.

I've tried it on another PC (one is Windows 8, the other Windows 10), they both fail in the same way.

I'm attaching a screen shot of the error dialogue.

Can anyone advise?

Waveforms Error 1.png

4 answers to this question

Hi @RoofTiles

The error shows device disconnect.
I see the "Status: OK" on the screenshot so the last USB voltage/current reading was normal, < 500mA. 
Other cause could be USB cable or plug contact issue. Since you tried another cable and PC we can exclude these.

The USB plug in AD2 and DD are pretty strong, but forcing the microUSB upside down could break the internal plastic spacer.
You could verify if this not broken, if it is not moving by touching it with a paper corner or small piece of plastic.

Hi,

I definitely have not forced the USB connector in, upside down or otherwise. I've only plugged it in a few times and its been no problem.

I've checked the connector as you say with a piece of cardboard and there is no movement. Perhaps the most likely explanation then is a hardware fault? Maybe it is a dry joint or similar that is slowly deteriorating and that is why it seems to be getting worse?

Any other suggestions or do I need to return it?

Many thanks, Alison

Archived