Openscope not installing

Hey,

For some reason there is almost no data in that log.  Can you try the above steps again but instead of  "Local Storage" choose "Both".  Then open the developer console by pressing Ctrl+Shift+i.  Then run the test again and send us both the log file and the all of the text from data from the console (you may have to scroll).  See image below for an example of what the console output looks like.

waveforms-live-console-log.png

Thanks!

-Kristoff

That is exactly what I expected.  When you click the '+' button to add the agent WaveForms Live send ths enumerateDevices command to request a list of available COM ports from the Agent.  That is the first time that WFL tries to talk to the Agent and that request times out which means that something is either blocking the request or the response.  If the Agent was getting the request but failed to execute it it would respond with an error, but that is not happening.

Can you provide some more details on your system?  Is your user account an admin, what, if any 3rd party antivirus or firewall applications do you have installed?  Can you think of anything else installed on your system that may be blocking that communication?

I can send you a debug build of the Digilent Agent so we can see if it is the request or response that is being blocked.

-Kristoff

The system on which I am trying to install the openscope is as follows:

Asus X205T with an Intel Atom 32 bit Z3735F prosc. running at 1.33GigHz

Windows 8.1 32 bit / 2 Gig Ram and 32 Gig Flash Drive

Anit Virus is by WEBRoot Secure/Anywhere with "Real Time Shield, Web Shield and Firewall" all enabled.

I login as the Administrator.

I have turned off WEBRoot when trying to ADD Device but it makes no difference.

I have used this system to directly communicate with Arduino boards, CNC Controllers and 3D printers (Rambo 1.2) without any problems but I am guessing that it is the WEB based nature of WaveForms Live that is making the difference.

Does WaveForms Live need to ADD Device successfully before the standalone of WaveForms will connect to it?

Interesting.  It looks like the port may be in use by something else, but if that was the case I wouldn't expect you to be able to load the 'offline' version of WaveForms Live using localhost:42135.

Let's manually send a command from WFL to the Agent to see if the Agent is hanging on the enumerateDevices command.  If this is the case I can send a debug build to get more info on this.  Try the following:

1. Start the Digilent Agent
  2. Open waveformslive.com in chrome.
  3. Go to Settings>>Change Console Log and chose Both.
  4. Press Ctrl+Shift+i to bring up the chrome inspector.
  5. Make sure you're on the Console in the inspector.
  6. Paste the following code in the inspector and press enter:
    var xhr = new XMLHttpRequest();
    var url = "http://localhost:42135";

xhr.onreadystatechange = () => {   
        if (xhr.readyState == 4 && xhr.status == 200) {
            console.log(xhr.responseText);
        }
    }

function post(params) {
        xhr.open("POST", url, true);
        xhr.setRequestHeader("Content-type", "application/JSON");
        xhr.send(JSON.stringify(params));
        return 'POST Sent';
    }

post({
        "device": [
            {
                "command": "enumerate"
            }
        ]
    });

7. Copy everything in the console window and post it here.  It should look something like the following:
    waveforms-live-dip-test-command.PNG

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Ok good.  That shows that WFL is communicating with the Digilent Agent and we got the expected status code back.  

My best guess at this point is that the Agent is not able to access the COM ports (maybe due to lack of permissions?)  I'll need to build a debug version of the Digilent Agent for you on Monday, but until then can you close the digilent agent and then right click the Digilent Agent exe and choose Run as Administrator.  Then try adding the Agent to WaveForms live and see if it still times out.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

The OpenScope MZ is not supported in WaveForms 2015 and won't show up in the devices list.

I created a debug build of the Digilent Agent.  

1. Download the debug build of the Digilent Agent here.
  2. Extract it to your desktop.
  3. Start a command prompt.
  4. Navigate to the folder on your desktop containing the debug digilent-agent.exe
  5. Run the following command to start the digilent agent:
  6. digilent-agent.exe > logfile.txt 2>&1

If prompted to allow network access, check both boxes and click allow.

7. Launch WaveForms Live.

8. Attempt to add the Digilent Agent.

9. Return to the command prompt and press Ctrl+c to kill the agent.

10. The folder containing digilent-agent.exe should now have a logfile.txt.  Please post that file here.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

No...I got the Error connecting to device warning.  I will try again and let you know.

I must have done something wrong the first time...

This time...when I entered the command line command to run the digilent agent...I got a message asking permission to run the digilent agent.  I said "Yes" and the agent ran.

The agent is still giving me the "Error Connecting to The Digilent Agent" error.  The new logfile is attached.

logfile.txt

Hey,

In the first log WaveForms Live is successfully connecting to the Agent and getting data from the OpenScope MZ.  On line 156 we can see the enumeration response that indicates the firmware version is 1.4.0.

How did you update the firmware to 1.4.0?

-Kristoff

I DID NOT update the firmware!  It came from the factory as you see it.

I need to do two things here:

1.  Thank you for all the work you are going through in an effort to get the Openscope to work on my system!

2.  Over the years I have plugged a lot of interesting things into my computer systems without too much trouble.  This is the first time I have hit a wall this badly!

I am really looking forward to getting this thing working but I am not sure how much longer I am willing to struggle with something that should have "Just Worked", if you know what I mean.

I talked to our manufacturing team and they said we may have shipped a few boards with 1.4.0 on them already.  I was surprised to hear that.

I agree that this should have 'just worked' and it does on most systems so I'm very curious to get to the bottom of this.  Would you be willing to do a skype/google hangouts call with Dharsan and me so we can all walk through it together.  Based on all the troubleshooting you've done so far it looks like everything is working.  I'm not out of ideas yet, but seeing it in action would be most helpful at this point.  Otherwise I can list some other things to try.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I don't have  Skype account and I am not familiar with Google hangouts but I can learn.

At this point I would be willing to FEDEX you the laptop and you could see for yourself.

Would it be possible for you to "Take Control" of the computer in question and work on it that way?

Hi,

Be interested if this gets resolved. I have same problem as tsenneville on my Windows 10 desktop.

Although It has worked on a Windows 7 laptop, and I have managed to update the firmware to latest and calibrated the board.

On the Win 10 machine I have the same symptoms as tsenneville has, only slight difference was the netstat only showed port 42135 in use when the agent was loaded as expected. WFL appears to communicate with the Agent. Have tried with windows firewall and Avast AV both on/off and running the Agent with admin rights. I've also tried the debug agent and the logfile I get attached looks similar to what tsenneville got.

So hopefully if you get to the root of this problem it'll will solve it for me too!

logfile.txt

Hey,

tsenneville was nice enough to do a remote debugging session with us over the weekend and we think we've narrowed down the issue.  When WaveForms Live first connects to the Digilent Agent it sends an 'enumerateDevices' command.  The Digilent Agent responds with a list of devices attached to the system (COM Ports).  WaveForms Live waits for up to 5 seconds for a response.  If WaveForms Live does not hear back from the Agent within 5 seconds WFL assumes the Agent is either not present or malfunctioning and alerts the user that it was not able to connect to the Digilent Agent.

In tsenneville's case it looks like it was taking just over 5 seconds for the Digilent Agent to enumerate the device and build the response.

arkukwhat make/model is your computer (or what CPU and how much RAM do you have)?

We're going to build a new version of WaveForms Live that increases this timeout (and others) to see if this resolves the issue.   We'll continue to post updates in this thread.

-Kristoff

Archived