Unable To Add OpenScope MZ to WaveForms Live (Windows)

I have just received my OpenScope mz (kickstarter) and see the same double red-blink then nothing.

Difference for me is that I cannot connect to the device via usb (http://localhost:42135/ does not work)... only getting the message "Invalid response from agent".

I hate posting questions on forums like this but I don't see any real support for this problem with concrete step by step troubleshooting routines.

Are there any command prompt actions that can help with this ? (Windows 10) 

What am I supposed to do with this ? 

Thank you!

Hey KyleAnniko,

You won't see the blue light turn on until you update the firmware (see details in my post above).  In order to update the firmware you'll need to install the Digilent Agent and add the OpenScope MZ to WaveForms Live through the agent.  Details for that process are here.

Let us know if that works for you or if you have any more questions.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I'm having the same issue as @KyleAnniko (same exact board, we work together). We have connected the board to a few different laptop/OS combinations by USB (Win7, Win10, MacOS) and followed the Setup instructions. We have not been able to connect to the device via the web browser on any configuration. Once we go to http://waveformslive.com/ > Add A Device > Agent > "http://localhost:42135" > + we see the "Connecting To Device..." message then "Invalid Response From Agent".

I also tried the procedure to recover an OpenScope MZ with corrupt firmware, but I was not able to add the Digilent Agent with the device in bootloader mode.

Any guidance you can provide is appreciated. Is it possible to force the device to load the latest firmware from an SD card? If so would it be worthwhile to try this?

Hey,

It sounds like WaveForms Live is unable to connect to the Agent.  This is before any communication with the hardware so it's likely something on the dev computer.

• If you enter http://localhost:42135 into your browser does it successfully load the 'offline' version of WaveForms Live hosted by the Agent?
  • Most firewalls allow local connections (between your browser and the agent for example) but it may be worth adding an exception for port 42135. 
  • Are you logged in as Admin on the PC?

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Hi Kristoff,

Thanks for getting back to me. 

1. If I enter http://localhost:42135 it seems to successfully load the offline version. I still cannot add the device (same error message).
  2. I tried both adding an exception for port 42135 and disabling the firewall completely on a temporary basis (same error message).
  3. My user account is part of the local administrators group (both on Windows and MacOS).

I have also tried multiple USB cables and web browsers. Where should we go from here?

Thanks,

Josh.

Try this. When you open WFL, open the side menu and select settings. Open the advanced settings and click "Change Console Log" and select console. Now open the chrome console and you should see WFL printing stuff here. Try and connect to an agent device and then send a screencap of the response you get. Here's what I get with no Agent connected:

agentErr.thumb.PNG.dc56c52c9a747808ccff634c2ef2ad08.PNG

Thanks,

Dharsan

I have the same (similar?) problem on a Windows 10 machine.  The "USB Serial Port" does show up in device manager for me, but I have no lights on the Open Scope and Waveforms Live responds to my attempt to add with "Invalid Response From Agent".

edit:

Worked on a different computer (also Windows 10).  As far as I know I did nothing different.

I am having the same issue but it connected at first. Went to do the update and sat there saying reconnecting. Left it for about 45 minutes. Now I can't get it to communicate.

Been looking forward to this for months. Very bummed right now. Hope they can come up with a fix. Looks like the update did not work.

Tried the log console but nothing showed up. 

Is there a way to load the firmware another way?

@Bob M,

From this thread it looks like you would be able to download the hex files directly from the OpenScope MZ Resource Center and then load them only the OpenScope MZ. I'm not too involved with the OpenScope MZ software/firmware so I personally don't have any other advice beyond that.

@dmw0472, I personally don't have any guess as to why the switch between Windows machines worked. Dharsan or Kristoff may have a better guess, but that'll be tomorrow (at least locally) before they jump back on the Forum.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks fir the reply JCoven,

Unfortunately I can not connect to the to the board to get the update firmware option. Even tried the reset which got the board flashing red. Still said it could not communicate with the board.

Bob 

@sudharsan.sukumar when I look in the console I don't see much information when I try to connect (see attached image) other than HTTP Timeout.

I was able to connect to the device on a different PC today and update the firmware. When I reconnect to my main computer I still have the same problem. The main difference between the 2 PCs is that the one that will not connect is joined to a domain. I looked over other settings and synced them but it did not improve the situation.

While I had the device connected to the other PC I configured wi-fi. I CAN connect to the device from either PC using the network connection.

I can try to find another PC today that I can join/unjoin from the domain and see if this makes a difference.

If you have any other suggestions I will be happy to try them.

Thanks, Josh

Console.PNG

Hey josh.orzech,

Just to confirm, when you disabled the firewall did you disable any 3rd party fire walls and the Windows Fire wall?  If you look in Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall\Allowed apps is the Digilent Agent allowed on both public and private networks?

Can you try adding the Agent using an IP address rather than 'localhost'.  For example try http://127.0.0.1:42135 and if that doesn't work replace 'localhost' with your computer's ip address.

waveforms-live-add-agent-by-ip.PNGwaveforms-live-add-agent-by-ip-2.PNG

Thanks!

-Kristoff

Hi Kristoff,

Only the Windows firewall is present and that is the one I disabled. I checked and the Digilent Agent is allowed on all networks and adapters. I have also tried adding the agent by IP address, windows host name, 'localhost' and loopback address.

I tried this on another domain PC and was able to add the device over USB. I did this using both a local admin account and a domain user account with local admin rights.

Also, on the laptop I am having trouble with, I have tried accessing the device using both Windows and MacOS with the same results.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that on the laptop I am plugged into an USB 3 port (since this is all I have). The other PC is USB 2.

Thanks,

Josh.

@Bob M

Sounds like something may have happened during the firmware flash. I just updated waveformslive.com to 1.0.6. Check under settings in the side menu to make sure you're on 1.0.6. If not, ctrl + f5 will get you the latest version (at least in chrome). Next, I would recommend using Chrome to avoid any issues.

Hold the prog button on the OpenScope and then push the reset button. The red LED on the OpenScope should start flashing. This puts it in bootloader mode. Next go to waveformslive.com and make sure it's v1.0.6. Add an agent and when you are navigated to the configure page, select the com port associated with your OpenScope (OS). WFL won't be able to enumerate the device and it will say something to the effect of "Error communicating with device". Under the firmware header, you should see a button that says "Load Firmware" or "Update Firmware" click this and a wizard will appear. 

Select OpenScope MZ from the dropdown (the dropdown will say "Other" when the page loads) and you should see the latest version of the firmware (v1.4.0). Click the button "Flash Selected Firmware" and a progress bar will appear.

Once the progress bar is done, click the done button. The OS should take around 5 to 10 seconds to boot up. After that, the blue LED should be flashing or solid on. Now click the "Open" button on WFL under the Digilent Agent heading. This will re-enumerate the OS. If it doesn't work first try, the OS may still be booting up. Just try again. If you still can't connect, let us know.

Thanks,

Dharsan

Dharsant,

Your the best. It seems the version of waveformslive did not give me  the option to update the firmware, I had to download the 1.4 version and update the firmware from it. I try to upgrade again to the latest but it did the same thing. I 

reloaded the 1.4 and this time chose a lower version like 1.9. That seemed to work so I went to try the latest and it said it was up to date with 1.19. Go figure. Not going to look a gift horse in the mouth as they say. I ran the calibration and now looking forward to seeing what this puppy can do. Unfortunately it is late and I better go to bed so not to be a zombie at work tomorrow,

Thanks again!!! Bob

Archived