Can't add device to WaveForms Live

Hello,

Digilent Agent installed.

Plug my OpenScope into my MacBook Air via USB.

WaveForms Live launched.

Small red LEDs flash, go out.

No blue LEDs at all.

WaveForms Live does not find my OpenScope. It offers two options: cu.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port and tty.Bluetooth-Incoming-Port. Neither of these work (as expected--OpenScope does not have a Bluetooth radio)

MacOS 10.12.5

Safari 10.1.1

All suggestions/help greatly appreciated!

Thom F

One further piece of info: if I run the local version of WaveForms Live (turned off my laptop's wifi), it automatically tries to connect to the OpenScope when I try to add a device, and a message appears that says something like "Error putting device in JSON mode"

Hey,

The OpenScope MZ should show up as a virtual COM port when you connect it via USB but it sounds like the FTDI drivers are not picking it up.  Can you check in 'About this Mac' and see if you can find the COM port associated with the OpenScope MZ.  If you don't see it there can you check which version of the FTDI drivers are installed on your Mac?

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I tried the whole setting up procedure on a desktop iMac, and it worked! Once I've played around a bit and seen how things work, I'll return to your suggestions and see if I can figure out why my laptop doesn't work.

Thanks for the help,

Thom F

Having same problem on a mid-2011 iMac.  Works fine on my Windows machines.  It is showing up under "About this Mac" but not in the list of COM ports on waveformlive.com  I have it added to my WiFi network and can access it that way, but not over USB.

Hey mbparks,

What address is assigned to the OpenScope (ASLR...)?

Can you run the Digilent Agent with elevated privileges?  On Linux you typically have to add the current user to the dial out group and may need to change the permissions on the COM port so the Agent can access the port (or run with sudo).

I'll see if I can find an older mac to test with.

Thanks!

-Kristoff

I found what was causing my problem after some internet digging about FTDI issues with Sierra. I have a Wacom tablet installed on my MacBook and not on my iMac. I was able to resolve the issue by removing the following files (I made backups first):

\Library\Extensions\FTDIKext.kext

\Library\Extensions\FTDIUSBSerialDriver.kext

\Library\Extensions\Wacom Tablet.kext

These were all the files in \Library\Extensions that are FTDI* or Wacom*. Obviously Wacom installed the Wacom Tablet file. Not sure who installed the FTDI drivers (maybe me, when I went to the FTDI website to try to find a solution, and installed their VCP drivers).

The person whose original post clued me into this says their Wacom tablet works fine without that Wacom extension. I haven't tried mine yet.

TIP: you won't be able to just drag those files out of \Library\Extensions. They get duplicated. Right-click and select "Move to trash" from the contextual menu.

Yes, I can acquire data and configure the OpenScope from the MacBook now. I was able to connect over wifi before, so I was able to collect data with the MacBook. Now I have a fully operational setup with the MacBook, which is great. Thanks

Archived