newbie2017

Question

Hello,

I just recently got an Analog Discovery 2 for a class. During the first hardware lab I did not get the desired result. I understand that this could be an easy newbie issue. I did a simple test on a SN74LS08N(AND gate) chip. Using 3 different bread boards, and different chips. Powered the chip on Pin 14, Ground on Pin 7, Pin 1 input I/O 0(pink wire), Pin 2 input I/O 1(green wire), Pin 3 I/O 8 (pink and white wire). I get blinking LED lights on 15, 14,12,9 when they are I/O are set to 0. When Pin 1 and Pin 2 are set 1 I get blinking LED on 15, 14, 12, 9 , and 8. 

So I would like to know what is wrong here? it seems to sort of work but I/O should not be a blinking LED light and I shouldn't see anything on the other output wires. 

Is it the software or the hardware. I did a very simple set up but it could be the user as well. I guess I don't know how you would debug a simple set up there is only so much you could do. Any advice would be greatly helpful. 

Respectfully,

Newbie 2017

2 answers to this question

I forgot to mention that I am testing it on waveform under static I/O and I just switched to a new bread board and I'm still having issues. I also want to say. I change PC's and no results. I should see some result on I/O 8. Instead I get mixed results sometimes I/O 9 is on. I've been trying different things to get a simple result from this. I just need to know how to test what the issue is. I really think it's the Analog Discovery 2. 

Hello,

Would you be able to provide some pictures of your setup? Based on the datasheet for that chip (is this the correct chip?) I'm getting a little confused as to which pins you are referring to when you mention the other pin numbers. I know one thing you will want to make sure you do is to enable the positive power supply for the Analog Discovery 2 inside of WaveForms; you are able to click "on" the positive supply, but you also need to set the master enable to be on as well. For the Static IO, make sure that your outputs going to the two inputs of each AND gate are set to be switches and the single output line to be an LED for easy viewing and manipulation.

I don't have the exact chip that you do so I'm not able to replicate this nicely, but I found a different IC with the same number of pins and wired up the Analog Discovery 2 wires to it as if it were that same chip for a visual comparison (not powering the chip of course to make sure I don't damage the IC). The way I have it set up is IO pin 0 (the pink wire) is going to 1A as an input to the AND gate, IO pin 1 (the green wire) is going to 1B as the second input on that AND gate, and IO pin 8 (the pink and white wire) going to 1Y as the output of the AND gate, along with some wires for the power and ground (again, without any actual power flowing through them) pins. I have an image of my setup available on the Forum here.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived