Does the Nexys-Video board offer 1G ethernet?

D@n

Question

Hello all!

I'm trying to get an initial design up and running using the Nexys Video board.  According to the specs listed for the board (both here and here), the board supports a 1Gbps ethernet speed, as well as 10/100 Mbps speeds.  Looking at the spec for the RTL8211E ethernet chip that I found (is this the right one?), the 1Gbps interface requires 8 transmit data wires and 8 receive data wires working together at a 125 MHz clock.  However, if you look at sheet 3 of the schematic for the Nexys Video, there aren't any 8 transmit or receive data wires connected at all, but rather a pair of 4-wire interfaces such as the 10/100Mbps speeds would require.  Indeed, it appears as though the only interface connected is the 10/100Mbps interface.

Can you confirm for me if this is the case, and if so ... might I suggest you update your description of the board to match the hardware on the board?  If not, can you point me at the proper spec for the ethernet chip on board?

Thanks!

Dan

1 answer to this question

Never mind, I think I found the problem: I was getting confused between the RGMII interface and the GMII interface (an 8-wire interface).  Reading the spec further, the 4x data wire interface is used for RGMII, but it samples on both edges of a 125MHz clock.  That makes the rates work out again, so that'll work.  (I had thought an 8-wire interface was required, and hadn't anticipated sampling on both edges of the clock).  :D

Looks like I was just confused.  My apologies again,

Dan

Archived