error building dts for zybo, syntax error on #include

bigbrett

Question

hi there, 

I am trying to follow along with this wonderful tutorial by @Commanderfranz (maybe you can help?), and I keep running into errors compiling the device tree blob. I've been working on it for several days, and still haven't figured out a fix.

All is fine and good building everything up until this point (.bif, .bin, uboot, etc.) but can't successfully build the darn device tree blob!

I use the following command: 

$ cd linux-digilent
$ ./scripts/dtc/dtc -I dts -O dtb -o ../devicetree.dtb   /arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-zybo.dts

and I get 

Error: arch/arm/boot/dts/zynq-zybo.dts:15.1-9 syntax error
FATAL ERROR: Unable to parse input tree

The line that is generating a syntax error is 

15: #include "zynq-7000.dtsi"

I read that you must invoke the preprocessor in order to handle c preprocessor directives in .dts scripts, however the only proposed solution I have seen online is to invoke the makefile as seen below, which I already tried and didn't work. 

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi- dtbs

Please help! Happy to include whatever other reference info you need. 

Best,

- Brett

2 answers to this question

Got the solution on the Xilinx forums, see here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Linux/Device-Tree-Error-unable-to-parse-input-tree/td-p/754945

#include "..." is incorret syntax for dts files. Apparently you need to use /include/ "..."

The code in the git repository is incorrect, and should be changed. I'd file an issue and report it, but there is no option on the repository. 

Archived