Logic analyzer - SPI

Marc1992

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to correctly read data from a spi line. Whenever I'm capturing data, glitches from the SS line make the software wrongly interpret the bytes. As you can see on the picture that I attached, the byte should be interpreted as 108. Here, the software cuts the byte in two and interprets it as ?96 and ?0.

What should I do?

I have another question. I'm trying to record two spi words of 8 bits, but that are separate by few milliseconds. How can I capture both bytes? Repeated mode makes the data acquisition great, but I am only able to capture the last word of the two (since the software clears the data whenever a new word comes in). When I am using Record mode, I always get the error: "Sample might got lost!. Reduce sample rate" which I do, but the software only successfully captures both words 1 out of 5 times. Shift and Screen mode only allows 2kHz sample rate, which is not enough.

Is it possible to use the Protocol interface in the software to probe data from a spi line, like for the UART protocol interface where you click on Receive and you can see data coming in (without the need to execute a command like in the spi Protocol interface).

spihelp3.jpg

1 answer to this question

Hello,

It looks like you have some crosstalk on the wires. The SS signal catches some spikes (from the clock and data signals) and this is interpreted as select deactivate/activate.
Try to isolate, have more distance between the wires or have each signal wire twisted with a ground wire.

Such 2MHz signal needs at least 4MHz sample rate. The 1-2MHz of record mode is not suffice.
Use repeated acquisition, set the update rate to 1ms and press run. This should capture trigger events even at 1-4ms distance.

Archived