New to Zybo and a little stuck with the HDMI out example

anfractuosity

Question

Hey,

First of all, thanks for providing this forum! I'm just starting out with FPGAs with the Zybo board, which seems a really nifty device, I'm just a little stuck though with the HDMI output example.

I would also like to point users of Arch Linux to - https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Synthesis/Vivado-crashes-on-Arch-Linux-when-performing-synthesis/td-p/706847

I recompiled glibc with the argument in there, which fixed the synthesis crashing issue :)

When I performed the synthesis and it generated the bitstream, I got the following warning:

[Timing 38-249] Generated clock hdmi_out_i/rgb2dvi_0/U0/SerialClk has no logical paths from master clock axi_dynclk_0_PXL_CLK_O. [/home/chris/ZYBO/Projects/hdmi_out/proj/hdmi_out.srcs/sources_1/bd/hdmi_out/ip/hdmi_out_v_tc_0_0/hdmi_out_v_tc_0_0_clocks.xdc:5]
Resolution: Review the path between the master clock and the generated clock with the schematic viewer and correct the -source option. If it is correct and the master clock does not have a timing path to the generated clock, define the generated clock as a primary clock by using create_clock.

I wasn't sure what to do about that warning.

I am using Vivado 2016.4.  I was still able to program the Zybo though, but I seem to get no HDMI output, when I attach it to a TV.

I notice I only have /dev/ttyUSB1 on my computer, am I supposed to have two devices, /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1, where usb0, would be used for the uart, and usb1 for jtag?

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas?

Cheers

Chris

8 answers to this question

Hello @anfractuosity,

I have moved your topic in FPGA. It will be more visible than here.

Regarding the issues you are having. What HDMI example did you use? Is it from our wiki page? I think it might be a problem of block design but I can't be sure. It might also be a problem with the board, which we can only test tomorrow. Meanwhile make sure the block design is correct.

we will send you tomorrow a project to test the HDMI, to make sure the board is fine.

The warning message you posted can be ignored, as stated by Xilinx here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/60049.html 

You are right about the usb1 and usb0 but it really depends of how you installed the drivers and if the drivers are correct for the FTDI chip we have on our boards. I'm positive that the fact that yiu have only USB1 is due to linux drivers.

Best regards,

Bianca

Hi anfractuosity,

I looked over the https://github.com/Digilent/ZYBO/tree/master/Projects/hdmi_out (assuming that you did where referring to this project in your earlier post) and I have some followup questions regarding how exactly you build the project.

So first up I would like to know how you managed to build the project using Vivado 2016.4? When I try to run the create_project.tcl file in a different version then Vivado 2015.4 I get an error and it dose not create the block design.

My second question is: have you overwritten the project which was stored in the QSPI Flash? if not, try booting from the QSPI using the boot selection jumper and connect the HDMI to the TV you should be getting a test pattern.

You could also try not building the project and directly opening the SDK project from the sdk folder and programing the .bit from there and then running the displaydemo project.

cheers,

Ciprian

While booting from QSPI you don't have to program the board, you just set the jumper to QSPI and switch the board on. Also there should be Linux booting messages sent trough the UART, if you are not getting those then the QSPI content has been probably overwritten. If you get the booting messages and there still is no HDMI output, then the HDMI is probably faulty.

You might not be fast enough to start the COM port on you terminal before the booting messages are finished displaying, so what I recommend is to:

1. Set QSPI jumper

2. Connect the pc to the UART connector on the board and then turn on the board

3. Open COM port in preferred terminal 

4. Press PS-SRST

Now, if your QSPI has been overwritten you can load the file attached to this massage on a SD card (after you unzip it) and boot from the SD card (same procedure as the QSPI booting) you should get some color bars on the HDMI.

If noting works then, probably, the HDMI is dead.

Cheers, Ciprian

BOOT.zip

Archived