pro MX4 compatibility with hardware

augustus94

Question

Hello,

I am still very very new to the field of micro controllers so I apologize for asking very rudimentary questions. We are building a CNC machine for a school project and this board was recommended to us to use for controlling a generator. I have attached the generators manual PDF with the pages instructing the signals. If someone wouldn't mind, would you they please confirm that it is indeed possible to control this generator from the chipset.

Thank you and sincerely,

BA_AGM_20_30_35_40_50_70_gb4_35827.pdf

3 answers to this question

@augustus94,

While I suppose it might be possible to control your CNC machine from this chipset, you'd have to go through a bit of work to get there.  Your first problem is that the controller PDF is asking for 24VDC inputs.  The Pro MX only produce 3.3V on its I/O, so you'd need to create a voltage translation circuit somewhere in your design.

After that, the next thing to check would be timing--and I didn't look at that.

Dan

Hmm ... good question, and especially so looking at the PDF you sent.

I'm used to reading specification sheets similar to this one for the PMod OLEDrgb.  Such specifications have a significant section indicating not only what voltages they accept, but minimum and maximum toggle times on the various pins to/from the device.  In the case of the PMod OLEDrgb I just cited, these criteria start somewhere around page 52, although I usually find my own focus drawn to the waveform diagrams on page 54.

In the PDF you sent, there are no such timing diagrams or charts in order to verify that you can toggle pins fast enough and not too fast.

That's what I mean by timing though.

Dan

Archived