IMPEDANCE ANALYZER QUESTIONS

FP02

Question

Hi,

I would like to buy the impedance analyzer Diligent has to offer (https://digilent.com/shop/impedance-analyzer-for-analog-discovery/), but before I need to ask some questions to see if the product is what I'm looking for.

1. Does the WaveForm software let you export data you are registering to other file types (for example .csv)? (Already answered while tinkering with the software).
  2. Can you register impedance over time or just over Start and Stop frequencies?
  3. Can this product only be used with the Analog Discovery osciloscopes series or can it also be used, for example, with boards (such as Raspberry Pi, Arduino, etc.)?
  4. Description for the product specifies: "[...] which allows the user to analyze inductive and capacitive elements of a circuit under test. [...]". As an impedance analyzer, I am guessing you can also measure total impedance of more "complex" circuits, (just an example, measuring the total impedance of a capacitor in parallel with a resistance), right?
  5. I have downloaded the WaveForm software myself to tinker with it and see the things it has to offer. What is the range for impedance the software and the device have?

Real thanks to whoever passes by and responds to at least a question.

Have a good day,

FP02

Edited by FP02
Answered one question myself while tinkering with WaveForms

4 answers to this question

Hi @FP02

1. yes
2. You can use Constant option for Stop, set Steps and step length determined by Averaging or other options.

3. Yes, AD1,2,3
4. Yes
5. We don't have such specifications. It is determined by the Scope and AWG range, resolution, bandwidth; voltage, frequency, selected reference resistor 10R to 1M which is actually 500k due to the additional 1M scope input impedance. As DUT impedance gets far from the reference resistor the measurement accuracy decreases. 

On 10/17/2024 at 1:29 PM, attila said:

Hi @FP02

1. yes
2. You can use Constant option for Stop, set Steps and step length determined by Averaging or other options.

3. Yes, AD1,2,3
4. Yes
5. We don't have such specifications. It is determined by the Scope and AWG range, resolution, bandwidth; voltage, frequency, selected reference resistor 10R to 1M which is actually 500k due to the additional 1M scope input impedance. As DUT impedance gets far from the reference resistor the measurement accuracy decreases. 

Hi @attila, real thanks for your answer!!!

Just one more thing about question 2, could I set a timeframe to measure? I am interested in measuring impedance of a circuit for over 5 min maybe (in a constant frequency or a range of them), I don't know if it is possible with this impedance analyzer or if there is a full in-depth guide for WaveForms that could show me this information and how to do it.

I would like to ask one more inquiry, do you know the time resolution for the impedance measures? It is really important that I have at least one measure per ms (1 kHz).

Thanks again!

Hi @FP02

With the current software implementation such Impedance Analyzer step timing is not precise. For each step it takes a capture and performs the measurements.
I just tested WaveForms application and could reach 1ms average after reducing the number of capture samples, which reduces the measurement resolution/accuracy. With the default 16k samples / channel the transfer takes longer and probably the computation time gets significant, about 3ms/step.
Precise capture timing could be implemented with custom application/script, but 1ms capture rate may be on the limit, not be guarantied with AD3.
ADP2230, ADP3X50 provide device buffering (memory segmentation) which could guarantee precise capture timing, but these are not compatible with the IA adapter.

On 10/18/2024 at 10:13 PM, attila said:

Hi @FP02

With the current software implementation such Impedance Analyzer step timing is not precise. For each step it takes a capture and performs the measurements.
I just tested WaveForms application and could reach 1ms average after reducing the number of capture samples, which reduces the measurement resolution/accuracy. With the default 16k samples / channel the transfer takes longer and probably the computation time gets significant, about 3ms/step.
Precise capture timing could be implemented with custom application/script, but 1ms capture rate may be on the limit, not be guarantied with AD3.
ADP2230, ADP3X50 provide device buffering (memory segmentation) which could guarantee precise capture timing, but these are not compatible with the IA adapter.

Hi @attila

Really thanks for all these explanations and your time. I now have a better idea of the product and its characteristics.

Have a nice day!!