Cora-Z7-07S - PetaLinux

Bogy

Question

Hello,

I haven't gotten to the questions yet, it's just an opinion - from a beginner (ok - I have over 25 years of experience in c++, but not in this domain)

Yes, it's probably easy to guess, I'm not an expert in linux - but I have to develop a project on this board, and besides FreeRTOS, I'm also evaluating the possibility of developing it in PetaLinux.

And this is where the torment begins, install the latest version of Ubuntu in VirtualBox only to find out that it is not compatible with the latest version of PetaLinux.

Looking for version 22.04.3 LTS, only to find out that it is not fully compatible with the latest version of VirtualBox, and the 'Guest Addition' installation does not quite work as expected.

I installed all the dependencies, which are not specified from the beginning, and I didn't even find a script to automate this, and bravely started to compile the project, only to get some bizarre errors (in a cryptic and long message) related to cpu1. Very bizarre, especially since this board has only one cpu.

I'll let you guess how many days it took me to find a solution, especially since all the dts/dtsi files looked fine, except for a detail related to debugging ...

I don't know if I'm the only one who encountered this problem, but the solution I found to be able to compile the project is the following:

In the directory: components/plnx_workspace/device-tree/device-tree

I created a file "system-user.dtsi" with the content:

/include/ "system-conf.dtsi"

/ {

};

&amba {

ptm@f889d000 {

cpu = <&cpu0>;

};

};

I hope it will be useful for other beginners who try PetaLinux on boards with a single cpu.

A+,

Bogdan

3 answers to this question

On 7/30/2024 at 1:19 PM, Ionel said:

Hi Ionel,

I'm studying the sources, but I expected to find specifications more easily in the documentation, which is either for older versions of Vitis/Vivado or doesn't even exist:

https://digilent.com/reference/reference/programmable-logic/cora-z7/demos/petalinux

This repository is for v2021 and 'Cora Z7-07S Base Linux Design' for v2017

I managed to import it in v2024, with the exception of ip/system_pwm_rgb_0

For the project I'm working on, I need to create a customized version and I hope to find help on the forum because it seems I'll need it a lot :).

Thank you,

Bogdan

On 7/30/2024 at 1:19 PM, Ionel said:

Hello,

I spent quite a lot of time trying to generate a petalinux for this board.
I had to modify the *.bb files to be able to compile them with v2024, but I cannot access the IPs declared in Vivado. I tried several variations in system-user.dtsi. For example, with the commented ones it does not boot - and I did not find details in the logs.
I have attached archives with files to regenerate the test project.

Thanks for any help,
Bogdan

linux_cz7_20240909.zip vivado_cz7_20240909.zip