Adjusting phase in a string of otherwise identical RF pulses

Steve_3

Question

Posted (edited)

I'm using an AD3 with the python SDK for this.  Is there a way to define an RF pulse,  and then play it out N times,   but with a different phase each time?   Rebuilding the pulse in a loop appears to be somewhat time consuming and would likely be imprecise.    I can trigger the repeated pulses from a pattern generator, but I still don't know how to change the phase with each pulse.   Of course, time is an issue,  more than a few msec to update the pulse doesn't work.  

A bit of code you helped me with some time ago is attached.  Ideally I'd like the second pulse to be at a different phase.   180 is fine, but ideally any phase.  The 180 I can do with some external hardware at the cost of 3dB insertion loss, but I'd prefer to do this in software.

Thanks for any suggestions/pointers!  I have looked at the AnalogOut_Phase example, and tried to adapt it, but had no luck so far.

test_undersampling_v4.py

Edited by Steve_3
Add information

9 answers to this question

Thanks Attila.  I did not do a good job of explaining the issue,  unlike  AnalogOut_Phase.py,  I'm trying to send discrete pulses.   like the figure below.  Generally amplitude modulated, but sticking with simple pulses to get this working initially.   AnalogOut_Phase.Py appears to exit the wait/trigger loop loop and go back to the configure step.   I've tried to modify the example to run pulses, rather than a continuous waveform and having some difficulties.  I've tried generating a comb of triggers,  setting the RF pulse to wait for the next trigger and updating the configuration in a loop, but I can't get the loop to synchronize with the trigger.     What I was hoping  was to modify the phase during the wait/trigger phase so as not to introduce any variable PC delays into the loop.  Hope that makes some sense.     

image.png.2b0501fcc0d48992949416438501d153.png

Hi @Steve_3

Is the burst length 1ms and trigger rate 3ms 333Hz ?
Do you want a Scope input capture for each burst as well ?
Asking these because reading the capture will take additional time, about 1-10ms depending on capture size, and can influence the AWG phase change rate.

Thanks Attila.   Yes,  i do need to capture data between the pulses, and the bursts are 1-5 msec,   but about 3 MHz.    I read in the docs about a "phase buffer",  which led me down this path, wondering if it was possible to update that during the wait/repeat cycle in some manner.    I also don't see a way to 'toggle' between two RF pulses (each defined with different phases).  But there is a lot in the manual, I'm hoping I've missed something.

You could use AM to block the signal in middle and FM to adjust phase. Note the carrier may not start from 0* at +3ms since it is running from start, it just has 0V amplitude while 100% AM blocks it.

image.png

Thanks, really appreciate the responses.   I'll give that a try, maybe a very long RF pulse that is a concatenation of all the pulses (sincs), with -100% amplitude where I would want zero RF out.

Hi-  Is it possible that Waveforms has access to functionality that is not accessible in the SDK?   In particular:  Using FDwfAnalogOutNodeDataSet I can define a custom pulse, and I can use this to create a single pulse that is a series of pulses, zero in between them.  But, this is only defined by an array of real floats.   So I can't add a phase and AM modulation string,  as you have effectively done in the example above.    The   FDwfAnalogOutNodePhaseSet command simply takes a single variable for phase, whereas in your example, the phase is defined by a waveform.       Hoping I'm missing something.

FDwfAnalogOutNodePhaseSet sets the initial phase of the standard waveform

For PM waveform use FDwfAnalogOutNodeEnableSet(hdwf, 0, AnalogOutNodeFM, 2) # 2=PM amplitude and offset expressed in %, 3=PMD in *deg

image.png

image.png