USB-2416-4AO: Working of Digital I/O

Me Cairva

Question

Dear Forum, 

Like many others in this forum, I am mechanical engineer who would like to use the digital I/O to turn a pump on/off. The pump requires a input between 8 to 30 DC V to turn on and a constant supply of 24 V. Following the data sheet:image.thumb.png.3f790d167092abde387ab43256712057.png

A solid-state relays (SSRs) that has an input of 5V and an output of 24 V is considered, but I am still confused about the operation of the digital channels.

Digital Output Specifications: The digital output provides a maximum current of 150mA, how much voltage does it provide? Some of the SSR proposed require a 5V input voltage. Does this mean that the digital output can provide a 5V output with a maximum current of 150mA? Or do we need an external power source to provide the necessary voltage to activate the relay? 

Input Voltage Range: The input voltage range is specified as 0V to 15V. Does this mean that the digital I/O can receive 0 to 15V without damaging the board? or does it mean that the digital input, delivers a 0 to 15V?

Controlling 5V Connection: The MCC provides a 5V connection. How can you control this channel using the DAQamy software?

Thank you very much for your detailed response,

Elisa

Edited by Me Cairva
Extra explanation about the use case of the product

1 answer to this question

The USB-2426-4AO digital output uses an open-drain configuration, which means it cannot source current. Instead, you can use it like a switch. For example, when the output is set low, its output transistor is turned on, which provides a path to the ground. So, connect the SSR +5v control input to a +5v power source. Connect the negative control line to the USB-2416-4AO digital output, and connect the +5v power source return to the USB-2416-4AO GND terminal. When the output is set low, it will act like a switch, and current will flow from the +5v to the ground, energizing the SSR. The other side of the SSR also acts like a switch, so it is connected to the motor the same way.

The maximum current for a single digital output is 150mA. 

The maximum voltage rating is 15v.

The +5v terminal is always on and is rated at 10mA.

Specifications can be found in the rear of the user manual.

The DAQami software allows for manual control of digital outputs. If you desire an automated approach and are not interested in coding in C or Python, consider the DASYLab software or LabVIEW instead.