ERB24 'No Error' stopping Time Control measurement in DASYLab

dodge_neon

Question

Hi Folks,

I have a DASYLab 2020 (339) setup using a USB-ERB24 and a USB-231 to operate a valve cycle and perform leak checks. The system needs to run for weeks at a time, so I use Measurement>Time Control to reset the system every 4 hours, to mitigate data overrun errors. 

I was doing this with another DAQ and some external relays before and it worked great, but I'm finding the ERB24 giving me an error that holds up the system only when the measurement stops. It happens whether I stop manually or if Time Control stops it. See below: either 'No error has occurred' or 'The hardware resources are currently in use'. 

If it's time controlled, pressing OK goes directly back to correct operation. But, the system is stopped until someone acknowledges this 'No error' state--I can't have that. Any ideas? 

Alternatively, is there a good way to prevent data overrun when the system is running for a very long time? I figure this has a lot to do with worksheet optimization, but maybe there are obvious first-check-this items. 

Screenshot2024-06-13154338.png.d4bcfcd8a0024bc2fc35235a5c166373.png

Screenshot2024-06-13154450.png.373273654a878e8a18b93a96604babf9.png

Thank you

Edited by dodge_neon

11 answers to this question

The USB-ERB24 can be susceptible to electrical and magnetic noise -RFI and EMI. If the USB cable is close to equipment that may radiate noise, reposition it elsewhere. Also, get a USB cable with ferrite filters like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Hi-Speed-Ferrite-U023-003/dp/B008VOPCGY/. The ferrite on both ends absorbs high-frequency noise and will help. 

DASYLab can run continuously for weeks at a time without restarting. If you're getting an overrun error, your worksheet's sample rate is too high, or other modules are blocking the data stream. If you attach your worksheet, I will look it over to see if there are any obvious errors.

Posted (edited)

OK, please see attached. I use a lot of multiplex and black box to control six identical systems, so debugging might be a chore. If you just want to give me general observations about it I wouldn't mind. I await your feedback with a bit of a wince 😅

Thanks

Edited by dodge_neon

I do not see any indication that your DASYLab worksheet will generate a data overrun error. An overrun error would come from the USB-231 when another program or background task blocks the driver from reading the device's FIFO buffer. So, instead of trying to restart the worksheet to prevent the error, could you find out what is running when the error happens? Does it typically occur during off hours when your company scans the PC?

8 minutes ago, JRys said:

Does it typically occur during off hours when your company scans the PC?

Actually yeah, it's usually late. It ran from 2PM until a failure at 8PM last night, per the data logs I'm pulling. I'll look into any background processes and maybe run an offline windows install. 

I didn't screenshot the error this time, but it wasn't data overrun. 2 separate 'device is not responding' dialogs--I'll see if I can recreate today. Is the only source for that kind of error a USB connection failure?