Driver cannot be initialized (error 67) using LabVIEW for data acquisition from DT9836

Kajeplan

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi all,

I want to read values from a DT9836 using the VIs from the LV-Link library. First, I checked whether the DT9836 is working properly by reading values from the board using QuickDAQ. This worked out without any problems. Afterwards, I wanted to use the "DtAinAoutContinuous" example VI to test the handling of the DT9836 board with LabVIEW. Here, the VI returns the error Message "Error 67 in DtLvLink.lvlib:Error Converter (ErrCode or Status).vi" and "Driver cannot be initialized" as a possible cause. I couldn't find any posts referring to this or a similar problem. I also can't find the drivers for the board I'm using. Does anybody know how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot!

Edited by Kajeplan

21 answers to this question

On 6/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, JRys said:

Please reboot your PC and try the LabVIEW example again. If it still doesn't solve the problem, try reinstalling LV-Link.

Hi, thanks for the answer! Unfortunately I tried this already, but the situation didn't change. Until this point I didn't find a different solution. What else is there I can do?

Was LV-Link previously installed for an older copy of LabVIEW? This could help me understand the history of your LabVIEW installations.

As a check, I installed LabVIEW 2024 (64-bit) and LV-LINK and was able to run the DtAInAOutContinous.vi. Because LV-LINK was installed previously, selecting Repair during the installation added support to LabVIEW 2024. I'm saying this because I want to make sure you didn't copy LV-LINK folders from an older version to LabVIEW 2024.

LV-Link was installed for LabVIEW 2018 SP1. Now, I installed LabVIEW 2024 Q1 64-bit in addition to LabVIEW 2018 SP1. I reinstalled DT-Open Layers for .NET as well as LV-Link 3. When I reinstall LV-Link 3, it is always installed in the user.lib folder of LabVIEW 2018 SP1 instead of the LabVIEW 2024 Q1 folder.

DtAinAoutContinuous.vi still doesn't work for LabVIEW 2024 Q1 in my case. Error messages show Error 64 with "No Ready Buffers" as possible reasons. It seems that DtOLReadMultiple2D the problematic VI in my own VI as well as in the example VI (DtAinAoutContinuous).

When you ran the installation for LabVIEW 2024, did it ask you if you wanted to Modify, Repair, or Remove it? Select Repair; otherwise, it will not add support to LabVIEW 2020. 

I could not duplicate your issue. If you continue to have trouble, uninstall LV-Link completely before re-attempting the installation.

It didn't ask me anything (if I recall correctly). I just installed LabVIEW 2024 without having to choose whether I want to modify, repair or remove it.

Now, I removed LabVIEW 2024 once more, because I don't have a licence. I need to proceed with LabVIEW 2018. I also removed LV-Link 3 as well as LabVIEW 2018 and downloaded them again from the official websites before reinstalling both. After the installation, I performed the repair routine of LabVIEW onto LabVIEW 2018. However, the situation didn't change much. In my own VI, similar errors occur as before (attached images 1 - 3). The example VI seems to throw error 1020 from time to time (attached image 4).

In addition, problems occur for my own as well as the example VI when trying to close the VI (attached image 5). It seems like the VI from LV-Link causing the problems in the first place was converted from a different LabVIEW version. Is it possible that the problems are caused by that?

1_error_20.PNG

2_error_64.PNG

3_error_1004.PNG

4_example_error_1020.PNG

5_saving_VI_impossible.PNG

Please download LV-Link3 from our file server.

https://files.digilent.com/downloads/DTSoftware/LVLink/LvLink3.10.2.0_Setup.exe

Then, could you run the LV-Link3 installation?  If prompted to Modify, Repair, or Remove it,  select Repair.  Restart the system, cycle the USB connection, and power to the DT9836 device.  Afterward, launch LabVIEW and run the DtAinAoutContinuous.vi example.  Send me a screen capture of the VI settings.

I downloaded the LV-Link 3 file once more and repaired the LV-Link 3 existing on my computer. I cycled the USB and power connection of the measurement boards and restarted my PC. Afterwards, I run DtAinAoutContinuous.vi and it seems to work properly. However, when I close the program I still get the error messages that some VIs have unsafed changes. I clicked unsave all, reopened the VI and now it does not work anymore (error 1020).

After repairing LV-Link 3 once more, errors 64 and 1020 are shown when opening the VI, but after clicking continue the VI works properly. The errors regarding the changes on the VI remain the same when closing the VI.

I am not sure what you mean by the VI setting or where to find them, respectively. I attached a screenshot of the VI's first proportions page as well as from the front panel when operating it.

image.png.701aa730183b8e20c5787e10e9db30bb.pngimage.png.37d17d757154afd1481830bc0f5b7796.png

Now, I installed LabVIEW 2018 and everything else I need on a different PC running on Windows 11. I tested DtAinAoutContinuous.vi and the results are similar: The VI seems to work and shows the graphs I was expecting. Nevertheless, it sometimes shows error 64. I was not able to find out under which conditions the error occurs, but I think it is excluded that the PC used is the problem.

Let's try something. Use File Explorer and Browse to ..\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2024\User.Lib\. Right-mouse click on the LV-Link3 folder and remove the Read Only flag. Press OK and choose to apply the changes to this folder and subfolders and files. This gets you past the goofy issues surrounding save-all operation. You can also do a mass compile of the LV-Link3. From the main LabVIEW panel, choose Tools->Advanced->Mass Compile. Select the LV-Link3 folder and choose Use Current Folder. This will recompile them all for LabVIEW 2024. Load the example VI and do a Save All. Run it and let me know if there are errors.

Unfortunately, that didn't change anything. The errors still occur.

Just to make sure you read it, I want to say once more that I'm working with LabVIEW 2018. I only used the trial version of LabVIEW 2024 to check whether I get the same error messages when switching to the lates LabVIEW version.

I'm having trouble duplicating your issue. What is your DT9836's serial number? Is it a recent purchase? Also, would you confirm that QuickDAQ works and is closed when running LabVIEW?

The serial number is 1DD36A6. It's a pretty old measurement board that has been in use for at least 10 years now.

I can also confirm that the board works with QuickDAQ and that QuickDAQ was closed when I ran my tests with LabVIEW. I have no problems using QuickDAQ, errors occur in LabVIEW only.

I tried it and the first time I opened it it worked properly. I set the VI to run continuously and pressed "start" and "stop" several times without any problems. I then closed the VI, opened it again and Error 1021 occurred.

AinContinuous_error_invalid_task.png.79ed4bf176419c866e1525df444a6706.png

If you use the Run Continuous LabVIEW button, then to stop it, unclick Run Continuous and press the Stop button. You might have to press the Start one last time to enable Stop.

More on this:

Our VI examples have a stop function built into them that ensures the device is closed. The device could be left open if it is stopped using the LabVIEW stop button. 

I didn't stop it using LabVIEW's stop button. I tried once more without using the continuous button, but results are the same. Also, in the other VIs I didn't press run continuously and I still got the error messages.