Inquiry Regarding Compatibility and Data Acquisition for MCC DT9874 Series

Alibumaye

Question

Dear Forum Members,

I am interested in acquiring data from the MCC DT9874 Series device within a program. My primary goal is to interface with the device programmatically to read data.

Could you please confirm the compatibility of the MCC DT9874 Series device with InstaCal and the Universal Library (UL) for programmatic data acquisition? I am aware that InstaCal is recommended for device configuration, but I would like to confirm if it is compatible with the MCC DT9874 Series device. Additionally, I am interested in using the Universal Library for programmatic data acquisition, preferably in C++ or C# since I have not found support for Python.

I have come across older templates and examples dating back to 2005, but I am wondering if there is a more recent version available. Furthermore, I have encountered issues with missing or non-functional references in these older resources.

Is there a possibility to access the device's data programmatically through a serial connection, even though there is no official support for Python? Assuming I have the necessary commands and knowledge for serial communication, would it be feasible to achieve data acquisition in Python?

As a student your insights and guidance on these matters would be immensely helpful to me. 

Thank you for your attention and support.

Note: The Software QuickDAQ is working with the device. 

you can se on the Screenshots the examples that i already have for c# and c++ but have problems to work with that

Best regards,

Screenshot 2024-05-06 123547.png

Screenshot 2024-05-06 124045.png

9 answers to this question

Dear [Support Team],

Thank you for your previous response. I appreciate your guidance. However, I am still struggling to locate the example codes for the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device within the QuickDAQ software installation. Could you please provide me with a detailed step-by-step guide outlining the necessary steps to find these example codes and to ensure the proper setup for programming with the device?

I have already installed the  MEASURpoint software that you mentioned but i could not find any examples for Visual Studio.NET. 

Finding the Example Codes:

Which path should I check in the installation directory of the  MEASURpoint software to find the example codes for the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device?

Are there specific folders or files that I need to access to retrieve the example codes?

Required Drivers and References:

You mentioned using existing Visual Studio.NET examples. Could you please clarify where these examples are located within the MEASURpoint software installation?

Additionally, what drivers are needed to use the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device programmatically? Are there specific libraries or references required?

Programming Guidance:

Once I have access to the example codes and necessary drivers/references, are there any specific configuration steps I need to take in my development environment to ensure compatibility and successful programming?

Your detailed guidance and clarification on these points will be immensely helpful in my efforts to utilize the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device programmatically.

Thank you for your attention and support.

Best regards, 

Ali 

Screenshot 2024-05-13 114358.png

Screenshot 2024-05-13 114529.png

Screenshot 2024-05-13 114603.png

Screenshot 2024-05-13 114612.png

Screenshot 2024-05-13 114632.png

Hello @Alibumaye.

2 hours ago, Alibumaye said:

struggling to locate the example codes for the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device within the QuickDAQ software installation.

On 5/6/2024 at 8:08 AM, Fausto said:

Please use the existing Visual Studio.NET examples included with the MEASURpoint software installation.

Chapter 5 of the MEASURpoint USB User's Manual shows how to configure and use QuickDAQ with a DT9874 MEASURpoint Instrument.

After installing the MEASURpoint software, the Visual Studio examples can be found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\DtxMeasurement\Examples\Visual Studio directory.

image.png

Regards,

Fausto

Hello @Fausto,

Thank you for your previous response. I have installed the MEASURpoint software version 3.3.3, but I could not find the specified folder “IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\DtxMeasurement\Examples\Visual Studio” (You can see it on the Screenshot). Instead, only a folder named “Data Translation MEASURpoint Software” was created. 

Here are the details:

Installed Software: MEASURpoint Software Version 3.3.3

Installation Folder: “Data Translation MEASURpoint Software”

Contents of the Folder: Several files and subfolders, including a file named “setup.exe.”

I have a few specific questions:

Reinstallation: Should I delete all previous installations of QuickDAQ software and the IVI folder, and then reinstall the MEASURpoint software?

Setup File: Should I run the “setup.exe” file in the “Data Translation MEASURpoint Software” folder? If so, what steps should I follow afterward to ensure that all necessary drivers and examples are correctly installed?

Example Codes: Is there a specific path or an alternative download link to obtain the Visual Studio example codes for the MCC DT9874 device?

I want to ensure that I have the correct example codes and the necessary drivers for programming with the MCC DT9874 MEASURpoint device. Any additional guidance or step-by-step instructions would be very helpful.

Thank you for your support!

Best regards,
Alibumaye

Screenshot 2024-05-17 085318.png

Screenshot 2024-05-17 085250.png

Hello @Alibumaye.

Which version of Windows are you using? 

Are you using a PC or MAC running Parallels?

6 hours ago, Alibumaye said:

Screenshot 2024-05-17 085318.png

The above image shows the contents of the MEASURpoint Software v3.3.3 installation package.  Run the setup.exe to install the software.

Using the Search field on your Windows' Taskbar, enter appwiz.cpl to open the Programs and Features window.  Sort by the Publisher column header and scroll to Data Translation.  Please reply with an image of all the Data Translation programs installed, as I show below from my system.

image.png

Does your list show older versions of any DT software?

Regards,

Fausto

Hello @Fausto,

Thank you for your previous response. I have now reinstalled everything on another computer (Windows 10) and this time it looks correct. I have the Visual Studio file and everything seems fine so far. I wanted to test the C# example program that was in the Visual Studio folder.

Initially, there were errors because the necessary references were not specified. After I added Ivi.Driver.Interop.dll from the Primary Interop Assemblies folder (IVI Foundation\IVI\Bin\Primary Interop Assemblies) to the project, most of the errors were resolved.

Another problem was that I did not have the target version .NET Framework 4.0. When I tried to install it, it failed because I already have a higher version installed. Therefore, I tried with .NET Framework 4.8, and that error was also resolved.

Now, when running the file, I encountered another error and this time I don't know how to fix it. The error is:

The "ResolveComReference" task returned false but did not log an error. DtxMeasurementApp 2005

Could this be because I am using .NET Framework 4.8 instead of .NET Framework 4.0? I also found a potential cause of the error in the references: there is an entry named IviDriverLib with an exclamation mark (see screenshot). However, I do not have a file with this name and cannot add it.

digile.png.d8de7b2039bcb00c9fd454a893385fa7.png

Otherwise, I can't think of any other reason for this issue. I hope you can help me. Although I am currently using Windows 10, will it also work on Windows 11?

Best regards,
Alibumaye

hey,

I have now managed to get the program running. It turned out that the issue was due to selecting "Any CPU" instead of the correct "x86" during debugging. Now, I have a new problem: connecting to the device.

The connection to the device works with the Quick DAQ program (Connection via USB), so the drivers are correctly installed. In the C# example program, I need to enter a VISA Connect String. What should I enter here to ensure a connection with USB to the device?

I have tried using the Vendor ID (VID), Product ID (PID), and the serial number, as I read that this should work, but it didn't. Here are the device details:

VID: 0x0867

PID: 0x7198

I hope you can help me with this.

progra.png

Edited by Alibumaye

Hello @Alibumaye.

What is the device name of your MEASURpoint USB device as shown in Windows' Control Panel - Open Layers Control Panel (32-bit) applet?  Refer to the following screen capture from my system.

image.png

The same device name will be used by the QuickDAQ application.

image.png

image.png

Close QuickDAQ before launching an IDE application.  After opening the development application, select the C:\Program Files (x86)\IVI Foundation\IVI\Drivers\DtxMeasurement\Examples\Visual Studio\C#\DtxMeasurementApp 2005.sln example.  For a MEASURpoint USB device, the VISA Connect String field string should include the device name.  In my example below, using Visual Studio 2019 and Windows 11, I entered USB::DT987x(00).  TCPIP is not used for MEASURpoint USB devices. 

image.png

Regards,

Fausto 

Edited by Fausto
removed duplicate screen capture