Zybo Z7-10 : Accessing the Xilinx FPGA over independent JTAG and not over USB2JTAG bridge

dpaul

Question

Board: Zybo Z7-10

Software: Vivado Lab Edition 2020.2

Debugger: Xilinx Platform Cable USB II

When my Zybo Z7-10 board is connected to the PC using the USB cable, the Software  can detect both the PL and PS. All good here!

It is my desire, not to use the USB2JTAG bridge to access the FPGA over JTAG. Instead, I want to use the J13 header (I have soldered the pins in there for connection) for JTAG connection to access the FPGA. The Xilinx Platform Cable USB II has the JTAG cables at one end and I want to plug these into the J13 to have JTAG access. At the end Software needs to identify the FPGA over this direct JTAG connection.

Is it possible? How can I do it? Is there some jumper settings I must change to facilitate this?

Note that I am still using the USB to power the board, so the USB2JTAG is always remaining activated by default. Should I need to change to a 5V DC adapter to power the board when I want to the JTAG over J13?

I have also referred here -  https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zybo-z7/reference-manual  but did not find any guidance to activate the JTAG over J13 header.

Please advise.

2 answers to this question

Additionally...

If I change the Jumper at JP5 to set Programming Mode = JTAG (instead of default mode, QSPI Flash), will I be able to see the FPGA as device detected through the JTAG interface (J13) at Vivado Lab?

Is this the way to do it?

Problem is now solved.

The FPGA can be detected by the XPC USB II debugger.

I am not using the USB2UART bridge. I just use a separate 5V DC power supply to ensure that the bridge is not activated and the debugger is directly connected to the JTAG signals at J13.