Analog Discovery 3 MTE cable

yassine

Question

Hi, 

i have just purchased the Analog Discovery 3, and upon testing it for the first time, i noticed that the MTE cable connector that plugs into the AD3 is loose and when i generated a square wave form to test it on the scope channel i get a clipped square wave form due to the poor connection of the MTE connector with the pins of AD3. The issue will disappear once i put back pressure on the connector.

9 answers to this question

Hi Yassine,

I also received mine yesterday and it is pretty loose. I got the BNC adapter as well. It fits a bit better but again, when I try to add the MTE cable. It is really loose. I wonder if someone else could let us know if this is normal, or we got s bad cable.

Fabio

Edited by FabioG
Wrong name typed

Hi @yassine and @FabioG,

You will need to ensure that the flywire assembly is fully inserted into the device; there is plastic "shielding/flashing" that the assembly should be pushed against (there is no concern about breaking the pins or something like that).

I have attached a couple of photos to comparatively show how far the assembly should be connected. Basically, only half a centimeter of the housing should still be visible.

image.png.b08a63d9ee4174d961ee2568f8e7dc99.png

image.png.003b947349098529057252979ebbf59f.png

Please let me know if you are still encountering issues.

Thanks,
JColvin

P.S. my AD3 is a prototype which is why the outer shell will likely look different than yours

Posted (edited)

Hi Jcolvin,

I have tried what you mentioned here l, but no luck it's still loose.

I don't see any plastic shielding/flashing/ inside the device. 

I have included a video showing my setup. 

Please let me know what to do, or if I am missing something.

I can't use the device yet due to this issue.

Thanks  

17138040753392186017935587999279.jpg

17138040985033528461886740267316.jpg

Edited by yassine

Hi @yassine,

It doesn't look like you've pushed the cable in far enough. The whole section with divots should be covered by the device, so that the (poorly drawn) red line is flush with the front face of the AD3.

image.png

You'll end up bumping into the plastic that I mentioned once it goes in all the way. This photo of the AD2 shows the main idea of what I've trying to explain by the shield/flashing and how far back it is compared to the front face of the device (the 2x15 connector used in the Analog Discovery 2 is identical to the one used in the Analog Discovery 3).

image.png

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Glad it worked.

I recall that I also had to use a fair amount of force the first couple of times for my Analog Discovery 3 device, but it stopped being an issue after about 5 or so cycles.

For what it's worth, after about a year of use and constant switching between different MTE cable sets and adapters (i.e. regular use for a support day job), I have no concerns about the cable coming loose, even on "intentional accident".

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin

Thank you for your support. Mine is working as well. It did require a lot of force to push it in the first time. I was hesitant to do that since I also got the BNC adapter and this one was quite simple to plug in. (Only a bit of force). I didn't want to break my brand new oscilloscope :)

It is working perfectly now

Fabio

This helped a lot to me too.

Just for additional info for those who cannot manage to force push it to the connector, I found what I needed was to physically bend (or straighten) the pins. I used a pin socket, push it towards the desktop. I needed to be cafeful to not let it be pushed too much and have it stuck. I still needed big pliers to remove it.

240425034940543.JPG