Do current counter cards raise an event in the API when count is incremented?

bsee

Question

I had an old model DT9812, and the API raised events when the counter incremented.  I'm looking at replacing that with a newer counter card, but I don't see count changed events in the new API.  Does this functionality still exist?  If so, can you direct me to the correct API call?

5 answers to this question

My company needs to buy a new counter card.  However, when I look at the Universal Library help file, I don't see a way to raise an event when the counter is incremented.  Does this functionality exist in the Universal Library?  At this point it looks like my options are to use the deprecated DT9812, or to find another vendor.

Hello @bsee.

The DT9812-10V (Digilent SKU: 6069-410-131) is still available for purchase. 

The MCC Universal Library for Windows software does not support Data Translation (DT) devices.

DT devices use DT-Open Layers library (OMNI Software).  The DT9812-10V supports event counting, as do various MCC devices if the decision is to migrate over to other devices and API library.

Which DT API was used to develop the application, DataAcq SDK or DT-Open Layers for .NET?

Regards,

Fausto

The old machine used DT-Open layers.  However, we're building a new machine, and these machines tend to last 20+ years.  We're concerned about using a board that "isn't recommended for new applications" on a new machine.

That's why I'm asking if the Universal Library can raise an event when a counter is incremented.  If it can, that expands the range of products that might work for us.  If not, I need to recommend to my electrical engineer to only select from your DT product range.

@bsee,

You have an existing application with the DT9812-10V, which is still available.  How is the DT9812 used in the existing application, i.e. number of channels, sampling rate, subsystems?  This information is necessary to match to an equivalent MCC device.

Note that moving over to a MCC device will require rewriting your application with the MCC Universal Library.  

On our older machine we have 2 DT9812. Each card has 1 AI, AO, and counter.  The counter uses the CounterTimerSubsystem with the following configuration.

ctSS = device.CounterTimerSubsystem(0);
ctSS.CounterMode = CounterMode.Measure;
ctSS.StopEdge = EdgeSelect.GateFalling;
ctSS.StartEdge = EdgeSelect.GateRising;
ctSS.DataFlow = DataFlow.Continuous;
ctSS.Clock.Source = ClockSource.Internal;
ctSS.Clock.Frequency = 5000;
ctSS.MeasureDoneEvent += CtSS_MeasureDoneEvent;

Our new machine will need 3 counters, and up to 5 AI.  However, the analog input isn't a solid requirement. We can read those elsewhere if necessary.  I am aware I'll need to rewrite my code to use the universal library.  That won't be an issue, as long as the driver can raise an event when the counter increments. 

Is there a reason so many DT models say "Not recommended for new applications."?  If we knew why, we might be more inclined to use them.