PYNQ Z1 Rev F Phy Support

Lance Manly

Question

I have a PYNQ Z1 Rev F. I am running Vitus 2021.1 on windows 11Pro. On the reference manual it says the PHY has been updated from a Realtek RTL8211E to a RTL8211F. There is a link to a github page to update the xemacpsif_physpeed.c library in the FSBL to add 8211F support. I have made the changes in my FSBL library but am still getting the same errors. "phy set-up error" and  "phy setup failure init_emacps".

Without the phy support the board does not have ethernet capabilities. This was supposed to be addressed in an update at some time but I have not been able to locate it anywhere or any mention of it on this forum.

Has anyone been able to get the Rev F to have ethernet capabilities after updating this library? I got the same errors before updating also.

1 answer to this question

Hello,

I've tested the emacspif_speed.c file patch with Vitis 2022.1 and 2023.1 using a Zybo Z7-10 Ref F chip. At first, it didn't work for me, but it was because I applied the patch after I created and built the project. I thought I could just rebuild the project for the patch to work, but it failed. The solution I found was to make a new project. Attached is the patch file I used. Change the extension to .c and copy it to:

C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2021.1\data\embeddedsw\ThirdParty\sw_services\lwip211_v1_7\src\contrib\ports\xilinx\netif\. 

Best regards,
John

xemacpsif_physpeed.txt