USB-CTR08 Unknown USB Device

Joero

Question

Hello,

We are doing research using the MC USB-CTR08 and consequently, due to struggles in fabricating a lot of other equipment, we have had this brand-new part shelved for over a year in its original packaging.  I initially installed it onto a PC back in October of '23 but due to some setbacks in other areas of our project it once again sat unplugged and unused next to the PC.  When I initially installed it, everything seemed to pass my tests.  The Device would install, and be recognized by several different software packages.   Having finally completed all of the other fabrications for our research, today we began to set things up and we needed to use the DAQ to test everything.  However, when I plugged the device in, the software would not detect it.  I started to troubleshoot and found the device as "Unknown USB Device" in the Device Manager.  Further, the device's Hardware ID in the details tab of the Device Properties indicates USB\DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR_FAILURE.  No LED lights next to the USB port ever light up. The only thing indicating that it isn't a paperweight is the "Unknown USB Device"  that comes up when we insert the USB plug.  I've tried several computers now and several different USB cables with identical results.  Any help would be appreciated as we are on a very tight budget.

Kind Regards,

Joe

5 answers to this question

Hello @Joero.

Which version of Windows are you using?

Download, install, and launch MCC's InstaCal utility to detect the MCC USB-CTR08 connected to the target system.

File location:  https://files.digilent.com/#downloads/InstaCal/

Is the device detected by InstaCal?

What other software do you use with this device?

What is the device's serial number on the backside label (or in InstaCal)?

Regards,

Fausto

The OS is Windows 11 Education Ver 21H2

Applications I've tried are DAQami 4.2.1, InstaCal(Universal Lib for Win)6.74, TracerDAQ 10.4.1. When I launch InstaCal it tells me it has not been detected.  Serial# 1FC83C9 See images attached.

Thanks,

Joe

Selection_055.png

Selection_056.png

Hello @Joero.

Thank you for the update and screen captures.  Your serial number 1FC83C9 is out of warranty (shipped Sept. 2021) and the MCC USB-CTR08 is not cost-effective to repair. 

You mentioned that you already tested the device with other Windows systems and USB cables.  Try testing a different PC and Windows OS if all previously tested systems were the same model and running the same OS version.  Also, try using other cables, ports, and USB hubs. 

Regards,

Fausto

Unfortunately, it does the same thing on Windows 10 and Linux, all of which are different models.  I feel like I've tried all the standard things including OS, Cables, Computers, and ALL of the USB ports in the computer it originally was installed and working on to try to isolate the issue, which continues to point directly to the DAQ as the problem.  If there is nothing else we can do, would you mind confirming that I need a replacement to help me justify the expense?  Also, any potential hypothesis as to what might have gone bad so we can avoid the problem in the future as this device was never used. 

Thank you for your help,

Joe

Hello @Joero.

Thank you for testing the other OS, systems, and cables.  Testing with a Windows 10 system rules out any OS upgrade issue.  Testing with Linux rules out an issue with the Windows driver.  At this point, it appears that the USB front-end circuitry on the MCC USB-CTR08 may be corrupted.  I don't have any other troubleshooting steps and all your results point to non-functional device.  I cannot hypothesize what happened to the device since it initially worked back in October 2023.  Did anyone else use the device since then?  The device does not go bad just by sitting unused for months.  

Regards,

Fausto