Ubuntu 20.04 64 bit - ISE 14.7 - Spartan3 Core 3S500E - JtagHS3

nicola.campanelli

Question

I have installed ISE 14.7 on Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit to program my FPGA Spartan3 Core 3S500E.

During the ISE installation, I encountered a failure while installing the cable driver, so I manually installed the following:

* digilent.adept.runtime_2.27.9-amd64.deb
* digilent.adept.utilities_2.7.1-amd64.deb

After installing Adept, I am able to run the command:

sudo djtgcfg enum

Found 1 device(s)

Device: JtagHs3
    Device Transport Type: 00020001 (USB)
    Product Name:           Digilent JTAG-HS3
    User Name:              JtagHs3
    Serial Number:          210299ABB8F0

However, when I attempt initialization or programming commands, I encounter the following errors:

sudo djtgcfg init -d JtagHs3
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: d5046093
Found Device ID: 41c22093
ERROR: failed to initialize scan chain

or

sudo djtgcfg prog -d JtagHs3 -i 0 -f ~/LED/leda.bit
ERROR: failed to initialize scan chain

Could you please help me understand what might be causing this problem?

4 answers to this question

My you are an adventurous person considering the differences between 32-bit ISE 14.7 and Ubuntu 22.04 Linux kernels.

I'd start with getting answers to these questions:
- Is the JtagHS3 compatible with Spartan 3E device JTAG signalling?
- Does the Adept utilities support the 3SE500 device?

I can confirm that the ADEPT Utilities for Linux work on Ubuntu 22.04, though I'm using an older HSx cable.

..$ sudo dadutil enum
Found 1 device(s)

Device: DCabUsb
Device Transport Type: 00010001 (USB)
Product Name: DCabUsb1 V2.0
User Name: DCabUsb
Serial Number: 50003C040864
..$ sudo djtgcfg init -d DCabUsb
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: 0362c093

Found 1 device(s):
Device 0: XC7A50T

I suspect that the problem is that the utilities don't support your specific device. I know how to fix this on Windows, but haven't tried to find the proper file on Linux. Edited by zygot

Hi Zygot thanks for your answer

The ISE 14.7 I have installed in UBUNTU can open and I can compile my VHDL project, Now I have a bit file I would like to program in my target FPGA (Spartan3 Core 3S500E).

Impact doesn-t work (I am not able to initialize device chain), so I decided to try ADEPT Utilities. As I understood the "djtgcfg prog -d JtagHs3 -i 0 -f ~/LED/leda.bit" should program my target with the bit file I have generated. Am i wrong?

The djtgcfg enum works but the djtgcfg init -d JtagHs3 fails to initialize

How can I know if the utilities supports my specific device? Device is a Spartan 3, it should be supported, am I wrong?

Oh, I didn't think about a mis-wired JTAG adapter... yeah, that'll do it.

If you can't initialize the JTAG chain, then there's no use in trying to configure a device.

Glad that the issue is resolved. Modern OSes can't run a number of ISE functionality, like IMPACT, but the abil;ity to create a bitsream from sources does seem to work. I do this with my Win10 box. Haven't tried to do this with Ubuntu. I do remember that the AMD/Xiliinx archived version of ISE didn't support all of the device families that I need when I tried it a few years back,so I used the DVD installer.

Basically, ADEPT Utilities needs ID codes for all supported devices. In the Windows version of ADEPT Utilities, there is a text file jtscdvclist.txt file that holds all of the supported device codes. This is can be modified to add boards with unsupported devices. I've done this a few times. If the Linux version of the Utilities has this file I haven't found it; so Linux users might be stuck with the release device support. I haven't tried doing Spartan 3 development on a Linux OS. Edited by zygot