Open target connection failed - No hardware target is open - localhost(0)

SGdigi

Question

I am writing a VHDL code to generate MHz signals from the Basys-3 board using the VIVADO 2023.2 version. Bitstream file generation is successful. The jumper is set to JTAG mode and I connected a micro-AB USB connector (J4) between my laptop and the board. I powered on the device. However, whenever I click on Open Target -> Autoconnect, my device remains undetected and hardware manager displays 'name -> localhost(0) status -> connected'. I am unable to Program Device. What should be my next step? Should I add XVC (if yes, then how)?

2 answers to this question

Hi @SGdigi, welcome to the forums.

The localhost connected in the hardware list means that the hardware server is up and running but it can't find your device.

There are a couple of possibilities.

1. Please try using an alternate USB cable - some charging cables are not capable of transferring data. If you are using a cable that came with the board, it should be okay.

2. Drivers may not be installed correctly: Assuming you are using Windows - if not, please let me know what OS you are using - please use the Device Manager to check whether cable drivers are installed. You should see two USB serial converters as in this comment:

If the device doesn't show up correctly, you should attempt to install the drivers either by installing Adept from this page - https://digilent.com/reference/software/adept/start - or by rerunning the Vivado installer from the Tools -> Add Design Tools or Devices menu option, as there's a checkbox on one of the screens that installs drivers (documented in this guide - https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/installing-vivado-and-vitis).

3. If neither of the above works, the programming circuitry on your board may be damaged, in which case you may need to pursue an RMA.

Thanks,

Arthur