USB-1024LS Modules keep failing.

Scott D

Question

I am upgrading a machine to use a  USB-1024LS module.  When testing the machine it worked for a few minutes then one of the inputs stayed High even when applying a ground.  We switched to another module and we got the same result on a different input.  Swapped to another module the machine worked for about an hour and the module failed again.  What could be the problem?  We do a digital test and Port B is failing.  We checked that our grounds are infact 0 volts.   Now this machine is down and I need to get this resolved ASAP.  Is it possible that the computer is not supplying enough power to the module?  I have one module left but I don't want to install it if it is just going to fail again.   Please help.

7 answers to this question

Hello @Scott D.

What is the history of each USB-1024LS module (i.e. new, used, worked previously)?

Which Windows OS and InstaCal versions are installed on the target system?

Which software application are you using with the modules?

Have you tested the modules on a different Windows system with InstaCal?

Are you connecting the USB-1024LS module to a USB port on the target system or using a USB hub?

What type of signal and voltage level are you connecting to the USB-1024LS module?

What are the serial numbers on the backside of the USB-1024LS modules?

Regards,

Fausto

Fausto,

Modules are brand new out of box.

Running Windows 10 32 bit

I have a software engineer that writes the software for these machines.  We have used this module in other machines with no problems.  And we are using them the same exact way on this machine.

Instacal version 6.72

We started using the USB port on computer and we thought maybe there was a power problem so we went and bought a powered USB hub but didn't try yet as we are running out of modules.

We are just passing a ground thru the contacts of a relay to the module.

Serial #'s so far are:

20EEBE0, 21AEC64, 21AEC06, 21AEC11

Thanks for your help and looking forward to your advice.

@Scott D,

Thank you for the responses.

Please update InstaCal and retest without any external signal connections.

Do your USB-1024LS modules pass the Internal DIO tests in InstaCal?

image.png

If all ports pass, then exit InstaCal.  Connect all terminals of Port A to screw terminal 30 (PC+5V) on the USB-1024LS.  Run your application for Port A.  Any issues?  Repeat the test for Ports B and C.  Any issues?  A port channel should always have a connection to either ground or a voltage level greater than 2 V (according to the device's specification for an input high voltage).  All digital lines are pulled up HI via 47 KOhm resistors, so they will read HI without any signal connected to the terminal(s).  If there's an issue with your relay, then that may be causing the issue with the digital inputs.

Regards,

Fausto

Port B is failing during DIO test with nothing connected to the module.  The inputs all have 5v with nothing connected.  If we apply ground to the bad input the 5v goes down to 0V but input on my status page in my software doesnt change it stays High.

16 hours ago, Fausto said:

Please send me a private message with the serial numbers that are failing in InstaCal, so we can discuss replacements.

Fausto,

How can I message you about replacements?