USBErrorOverflow with the USB-1208HS-4AO

Engineer_Steve

Question

A short introduction from my side, I am a software engineer within Delmic BV. in the Netherlands. We specialize in automation of SEM components and have our own product line as well. For one of our customers we decided to order an USB-1208HS-4OA MCC board to control a few laser emitter sources.

We cloned the repo Linux_Drivers from GitHub to be able to make use of a Python implementation of an interface for this board. With this repository a test program comes with it, pre-written for any specific type of board. For write commands this works fine but for read commands the device always throws an error stating:
usb1.USBErrorOverflow: LIBUSB_ERROR_OVERFLOW [-8]

I wonder where this issue comes from, probably from the libusb1 library does any of you have experience with this? Is this an issue with the package size or data buffer that is expected?
Does anyone use different (Python) code for Linux implementation?

I was hoping someone could help us out a bit with this issue, that would be much appreciated.
If there is anything I need to provide please let me know.

Thanks alot!
Steve

4 answers to this question

Hello @Engineer_Steve.

Did you install libusb as mentioned in the Prerequisites instructions on the GitHub repo for MCC Universal Library for Linux (uldaq)?

I was able to use an USB-1208HS-4AO with the uldaq examples a_in.py and a_in_scan.py; no errors.  Please test that example.

USB-1208HS-4AO User's Guide

Supported MCC hardware for UL for Linux

Universal Library Python API for Measurement Computing DAQ devices

Regards,

Fausto

Edited by Fausto
no errors running a_in.py and a_in_scan.py

Dear Fausto,

Thank you for you quick reply and the suggestions you provide already.
I might have been mixing packages together with apt and pip due to testing both a USB-1208LS and a USB-1208HS-4OA MCC device.
Also I first tried to do an implementation of the code Warren provided in this repo -> https://github.com/wjasper/Linux_Drivers
Maybe this implementation eventually does not work for both device so I might need to switch to UL eventually but that will require a lot of packaging on our side.
I currently have this list of packages installed:

libraries for libusb (apt):
libhidapi-libusb0/focal,now 0.9.0+dfsg-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libusb-1.0-0-dev/focal,now 2:1.0.23-2build1 amd64 [installed]
libusb-1.0-0/focal,now 2:1.0.23-2build1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libusb-1.0-0/focal,now 2:1.0.23-2build1 i386 [installed,automatic]
libusb-1.0-doc/focal,focal,now 2:1.0.23-2build1 all [installed,automatic]
libusbmuxd6/focal,now 2.0.1-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libusbredirhost1/focal-updates,focal-security,now 0.8.0-1ubuntu0.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libusbredirparser1/focal-updates,focal-security,now 0.8.0-1ubuntu0.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
python3-libusb1/focal,focal,now 1.7-2 all [installed]

libraries for libusb (pip):
libusb1                   3.1.0

Maybe I should first figure out if there are packages interfere with each other.
I will post my findings afterwards.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Fausto,

Well actually Warren's Linux driver support both the USB-1208LS and the USB-1208HS variants. Thats why in the first place I wanted to try to stick with only his driver and not the UL driver. For now we decided to go for the USB-1208LS and focus on that one, and for controlling that device the driver of Warren works properly.
Thank you for your assistance and for pointing out important documents, those definitely come in handy.
I guess this tread can be closed.

Regards,
Steve