Waveforms App and Libraries unsigned on Mac OS X

CliveH

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi @Clive Hayward

These are signed but the MacOS policy may require the following:
- System Preferences/ Security & Privacy/ General/ Allow apps downloaded from: App store and identified developers
- System Preferences/ Security & Privacy/ General/ Allow anyway/ WaveForms and dwf.framework
- Open WaveForms with Secondary click

I'm also having this issue and can't run Waveforms on a Mac.  I've tried both the latest beta 3.21.32 and the latest stable release on macOS Sonoma 14.2.1.  "Allow applications downloaded from App Store and identified developers" is enabled.  I click open anyway in the security panel, but I can't get Waveforms.app or dwf to open.

When I secondary click it, I get "“dwf” can’t be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed.  Your security settings allow installation of only apps from the App Store and identified developers.  This item is on the disk image “digilent.waveforms_v3.21.3.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image yesterday at 6:03 PM."

Secondary clicking WaveForms.app gives "This item is on the disk image “digilent.waveforms_v3.21.3.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image yesterday at 6:03 PM. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information."

Any ideas?  Thanks!

Hi @fractalbrain

As visible in the screenshot 3.21.32 but other versions should also work.
If you open the application from the disk image Mac warning is probably shown each time. If copied to computer, drag&drop to Applications, only once and it should also launch faster since the disk image is compressed.

Hi @attila

Upgrading didn't work.  Same issue as before.  I'm on an M3 mac, versus the M1 you have, so that doesn't seem like it should make a difference.

Gatekeeper seemed happy:

```
MacBook-Pro /Applications % spctl -vvv -a WaveForms.app
WaveForms.app: accepted
source=Developer ID
origin=Developer ID Application: Digilent (3GQCL4AKGN)
```

I think I found it.  I think it's either crowdstrike or gatekeeper is blocking it.  I'll dig around more in the logs.  I can also try on a different computer.

Hi @attila,

I was able to test on my personal laptop (Intel) also at 14.3.x, but without Crowdstrike.  Unfortunately, it looks like almost the same thing happened.

The same messages popped up (...software needs to be updated....cannot check it for malicious content).  The "open anyway" exception in "Privacy and Security" brings up another dialogue that I can click through on the personal computer to open it.  That dialogue is blocked on the work computer.

Is Waveforms notorized? (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_macos_software_before_distribution)

@attila That's perfect!  It worked flawlessly.  After copying the .app and framework directories, I right clicked the .app, selected open, and ta-da, it worked with no issue.

Thank you for the hard work getting that resolved!  Much appreciated!

Cheers,

-ej