I added a ground lead to BNC adaptor

miketranch

Question

The BNC Adapter is great, but lacks a proper ground IMO.  It's all too easy for a scope ground lead to come in contact with something other than ground.  The BNC Adapter ground connects via USB to PC ground.  If the PC ground connects to AC power safety ground, a high current can result.  So I decided to add a good solid ground wire to BNC adaptor board.  It connects to the scope BNC shells.  I clip this to a solid ground, same one I used for the ESD protection mat. IMO, the BNC Adapter should include this from factory.  Maybe in a future rev.  In the meantime, this is a quick and easy fix.

IMG_7494.jpg

IMG_7495.jpg

IMG_7496.jpg

Edited by miketranch
used wrong picture format

2 answers to this question

Hi @miketranch

Unfortunately your pictures are not available.
GND pins are available on the BNC header.
USB isolator can be used for safety and noise reduction from computer or ground loops. The cheaper ones provide only USB FS 12Mbps but even this is fine for average usage. Slowdown is noticeable with large captures or data streaming, or high capture rate is desired.

1 minute ago, attila said:

Hi @miketranch

Unfortunately your pictures are not available.

Please check again, I edited and reloaded as JPG and they show up.  IMO a good heavy ground is called for here.  As you know, traditional T&M is in a metal chassis and has good solid ground.  I'm just trying to make my AD2 more robust.  I was going to put a bananna jack there, but space was tight and I always use this ground lead so I soldered directly.