reading NMEA sentences from gps module using zedboard.

Hi. I am new to FPGA and started understanding zedboard. I want to read nmea data coming from GPS receiver module(u-blox) and display on the pc. I have created IP block design(attached), assigned Tx and Rx pins (JA3 and JA4) and generated bitstream and exported the hardware and opened in vitis. I tried writing c-code to instantiate the uart. I struck here. I dont know how to receive the data and store in fifo and display on the pc. please help me in this. Thanks in advance.

ipblock.PNG

Hi @Saturn, welcome to the forums.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:46 AM, Saturn said:

I want to read nmea data coming from GPS receiver module(u-blox) and display on the pc.

Do you have a datasheet for the part you're reading from? It should provide additional information like data formats and required baud rates.

On 1/18/2024 at 2:46 AM, Saturn said:

I tried writing c-code to instantiate the uart. I struck here.

There are several examples built into Vitis. You can find them through the .spr file in the platform project - look for xuartlite in the list of drivers installed in your BSP.

image.png

(Note that the UART driver shown in this screenshot is for the PS UART, not a UART lite IP.)

Without the interrupt connected, a polled example will be the best bet. I may be able to provide additional guidance if these examples are insufficient.

Thanks,

Arthur

Thanks very much Arthur. but where should I connect my gps reciver module pins (Vcc.Gnd, Tx) to read and display data . In the uart lite, I have assigned those pins to JA1. 

What GPS module are you using? Electrical standards used on the TX and RX pins will be relevant. Pins JA3 and JA4 of the Pmdo port would be fine for 3.3V logic with most UART baud rates.