Suggested small linux motherboard to run Analog Discovery 2

Torfey

Question

I've been battling trying to get the Analog Discovery 2 to work on usb in linux (Debian 8.5 now) on the cpu board I have from VersaLogic (Iguana). At this point, usb keeps disconnecting and I can't tell if it's the board or the drivers.

My preference would be for an ethernet Analog Discovery 2 instead of usb since my experience with usb seems so flaky compared to ethernet. But can someone suggest a small motherboard with a usb chipset that they've gotten to work with linux and the AD2?  I'm hoping for something small like a mini-ITX. It needs wired ethernet and video.

Any help, or a pointer to another forum that might be able to help, is appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I think it is more than likely not the hardware you chose, but the OS. Have you tried Fedora? I am currently running WaveForms 2015 on my Fedora box, and do not get the same problem. I am not a really big fan of Debian, having been more a Slackware and Redhat user for most of my Linux life. It does sound, from this post and your previous one regarding the USB "unplugging" the AD2 after some time, that the OS is doing this. Is the host PC a laptop? If so you could try to set it up to never save power, I had to do the same with my Windows Laptop that I need to use proprietary software on for specific equipment programming, it would power down my interface connections after inactivity and consequently severe connections with the equipment. Not a problem really except when in a live and online program editing situation. Also, if the AD2 is being powered from the USB port, it does hog a lot of USB power which could be a potential area of concern.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I too have mostly used RedHat or Fedora.  The particular application for us originally was to add this scope to an existing setup on a VersaLogic board called 'Iguana' (an Intel Atom processor). VersaLogic had provided a Debian OS that worked on their board, so we had stuck with that.

Our previous hardware setup had made use of the PC104 add ons for a scope and we were trying to make minimal changes to use the AD2 instead. But I'm not sure if it's the usb chipset on the Iguana or the Debian kernel (which I updated to be Debian 8.5), but the disconnects kept happening. Right now I'm trying an Intel NUC. It seems to behave better, so far. In both cases, we're using external power for the AD2.

But I still wish there was an ethernet option for the AD2. 

Archived