Inquiry about Pmod DA3

Ahmad Mansour

Hello,

My team and I would like to use the Pmod DA3 in a project of ours. We are using Xillinx Spartan 7 evaluation board (ug1319-sp701-eval-bd-1634104). Could you please clarify the following:

1) Is this product compatible with our board? I am not sure as the sp701's PMODs are marked as GPIOs in the documentation.

2) What is the maximum signal frequency of the DAC?

3) Is there an option with both an ADC and DAC?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Ahmad Mansour

Hi @Ahmad Mansour,

1. Yes, GPIO connections are what you will want. You can verify the pinout style matches what you want on page 17 of the SP701 schematic.

2. Based on the Timing Characteristics table of the embedded AD5541A datasheet, https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/AD5541A.pdf, the maximum SCLK frequency for 3.3 V logic is 50 MHz. Be sure to account for the output voltage settling time that is referenced in the AC Characteristics though (Table 3 of the same datasheet), as that will impact your effective output rate.

3. No, Digilent does not have such an-add on Pmod module that combines both an DAC and ADC (though there is a Pmod AD1, Pmod AD2, and Pmod AD5). For a more 'all-in-one' style solution, I would likely be recommending either the Analog Discovery 3 or the Eclypse Z7 in combo with the Zmods of your choice.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin