URGENT - Using the USB-1608GX-2AQ with Matlab 2023a - driver issues?

AWH

Question

p/n: 151440D—03L

S/N: 190E70B

Hello,

I am trying to use the above Data Acquisition hardware with Matlab to capture analog data and process it.

I have the following Matlab R2023a (Using Windows 10) Toolboxes Installed:

• Data Acquisition Toolbox version 4.7
  • Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware version 23.1.0
  • Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for National Instruments NI-DAQmx Devices version 23.1.0
  • Data Translation Data Acquisition Toolbox version 1.0

I have installed the DAQAmi software version 4.2.1f0 with Universal Library Version 6.55

Using DAQAmi, I am able to find the device and configure it.

When using Matlab, running:

d = daqlist(“mcc”), I receive the following message:

Unable to detect 'mcc' hardware:

Measurement Computing Corp. hardware requires at least version 6.60.0 of the MCCAdaptor drivers. 

I cannot find any such driver on your website.  Would you please help me get started with Matlab interfacing to this device?  I have been working on just getting the two things to communicate for 3 full days.

Looking at some suggestions in the forum, I tried the following:

Run Instacal - device is recognized. Configuration and Calibration were successful.

image.png.0bd14bcfd0763b17156ca577d8963319.png

Exiting InstaCal and launching Matlab R2023a.  Running v = daqvendorlist, I get:

image.png.6f6d58b0e68a65c4e3a81ac4804c6788.png

13 answers to this question

Hello @AWH.

Please restart your Windows 10 system.  Use the following link to download and install the current version of InstaCal.

https://files.digilent.com/#downloads/InstaCal/

Afterwards, launch InstaCal to verify detection of your USB-1608GX-2AO.  If the device is listed, then close InstaCal and launch MATLAB R2023a.

In the Command Window, run daqvendorlist

Does that resolve your issue with the 'mcc' package?

Your 'mcc' package should be similar to my 'mcc' entry below.

image.png

Regards,

Fausto

Hello, the version of InstaCal I have is 6.55.  As I think I stated in my Post, InstaCal recognizes the device and is able to calibrate it.  In the meantime, I will try what you suggest.

Thanks

image.png.7cfac3b6e9e798db2bfc31bc8c8e5b0a.png

OK, here are the steps I have taken.

1. Install InstaCal from the website you provided.

2. Unplugged USB-1608 from computer

3. Rebooted computer

4. Plugged in USB-1608

5. Turned on InstaCal

image.png.15365e8a0f67b1325a7ac17580887a92.png

6. Checked if InstaCal recognizes device

image.png.f121f9a23edaef10c1e144036c84d4da.png

7. Grabbed information about device.  Note Firmware and FPGA versions --- are these the latest that support Matlab?

image.png.77f453fe6bc72f6a56403eed2421bba0.png

8. Ran Calibration

image.png.948f5d61357bc0880e6d5c9b67efa178.png

9. Closed InstaCal and loaded Matlab R2023a

10. Ran daqvendorlist in Matlab Command Window - after about a minute received the following - same problem as before

image.png.3d5b7b0939d0581faaee4af39bb1a87d.png

I really need to get this going.  Is it possible to get on a phone call to diagnose the problem?  

AGAIN, please note that I am able to access with DAQAMI - see below

image.thumb.png.17e1fa6175e1fcb68b7678a093c79a65.png

Hello @AWH.

Thank you for the additional information and screen captures.

Your issue is not with the MCC software (InstaCal and DAQami) nor MCC device.

Close InstaCal and DAQami.  Launch MATLAB R2023a.  You will need to reinstall the Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware.  In MATLAB, click on the Add-Ons menu option and select Manage Add-Ons.  Afterwards, restart MATLAB and run daqvendorlist again in MATLAB's Command Window.

image.png

You can update your device's firmware, but that is not your issue with MATLAB.  Open the blue enclosure to locate the hardware label, as circled below.  With this example, the HW Rev. is 'B'.

image.png

On the MCC Firmware page, select the firmware option based on the hardware revision label. 

image.png

If you continue to see unknown driver version with daqvendorlist, then you should uninstall the Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware again and then uninstall MATLAB's Data Acquisition Toolbox as well.  There may have been some hiccup when those packages were installed initially on your target system.  Afterwards, restart your system.  Install MATLAB's Data Acquisition Toolbox first followed by the Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware.  Lastly, run daqvendorlist again in MATLAB's Command Window.

Regards,

Fausto

The Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware that is linked in Matlab was not installing.  I found another one on your website that did install successfully.

The Data Acquisition Toolbox was a new installation, that was done at the same time I upgraded to R2023a.  These have both been reinstalled at least once.  

I cannot imagine how these toolboxes could be the problem.  Are the versions of these toolboxes (as I provided in my earlier message) the latest?  If not, please link me to the latest.

I will try your suggestion - but, I can't see how this could be the problem.

In order for us to modify software, we need permission from our IT organization - so, not a quick process.  

How do we open the box?  I don't see any visible screws.  Are they under the rubber feet?

Thanks

Hello @AWH.

The enclosure screws are under the rubber feet.

The issue may have been the 'upgrade' from a previous version of MATLAB, on the same system.  Both the Data Acquisition Toolbox and Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware were developed and are maintained by MathWorks.  Please reach out to MathWorks technical support if reinstalling both packages do not resolve your issue.

Regards,

Fausto

>> ver
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATLAB Version: 9.14.0.2306882 (R2023a) Update 4
MATLAB License Number: xxxxxx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Enterprise Version 10.0 (Build 22000)
Java Version: Java 1.8.0_202-b08 with Oracle Corporation Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM mixed mode
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATLAB                                                Version 9.14        (R2023a)
Data Acquisition Toolbox                              Version 4.7         (R2023a)
Instrument Control Toolbox                            Version 4.8         (R2023a)
>> 

>> daqvendorlist

ans =

4×4 table

ID                   FullName                AdaptorVersion      DriverVersion  
    __________    _______________________________    ______________    _________________

"ni"          {'National Instruments(TM)'   }    "4.7 (R2023a)"    "23.0.0 NI-DAQmx"
    "mcc"         {'Measurement Computing Corp.'}    "4.7 (R2023a)"    "6.74.0"         
    "digilent"    {'Digilent'                   }    "4.7 (R2023a)"    "3.21.2"         
    "dt"          {'Data Translation'           }    "3.9 (R2016a)"    "V7.0.0.6"       

>> 

image.png

Edited by Fausto
added daqvendorlist

OK, I worked with Matlab Support and they found the problem.  For your reference, in case you get this question again:

The System Registry for Measurement Computing needs to be as follows:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE --> SOFTWARE --> WOW6432Node  --> Measurement Computing --> 

InstaCal should change to InstaCal & Universal Library

-------

On anoher note, can you point me to all the commands to which this device responds?  I noticed in the user guide that there is a Burst Mode which allows it to capture some number of channels for each channel sequentially, allowing it to sample each channel at 500 kSamples / sec.  The channels will not be simultaneously sampled together, which is ok.

Basically, I am looking for documentation on what commands are available for this device.

Thanks for your patience

Thank you @AWH.  Good to know for other users to check.

The InstaCal & Universal Library branch is added to the registry with the installation of InstaCal.  Uncertain what happened with your MATLAB upgrade.

The Data Acquisition Toolbox Support Package for Measurement Computing Hardware uses the functions available in MATLAB's Data Acquisition Toolbox.

Please reference MathWorks' Help Center https://www.mathworks.com/help/daq/ for supported functions.  Unfortunately, the burst mode capability of the USB-1608GX-2AO is not supported in the toolbox.  You will need to request that feature directly from MathWorks.

There is an example saved to the target system, when the Measurement Computing toolbox is installed.

'C:\Users\{user name}\Documents\MATLAB\Examples\R2023a\daq\GettingStartedWithSessionBasedInterfaceUsingMCCDevicesExample'

Helpful links:

https://www.mathworks.com/hardware-support/measurement-computing.html

https://www.mathworks.com/help/daq/measurement-computing-hardware-examples.html

Regards,

Fausto

Thank you.

I noticed the following from Matlab:

Measurement Computing Hardware Limitations

For your Measurement Computing™ device to appear in the output of the daqlist function, you must first detect it in InstaCal.

MCC devices are not supported by the Simulink® blocks of the Data Acquisition Toolbox™ block library.

External clocking and triggering of MCC devices is not supported. <I need external triggering>

Support for MCC devices is limited to analog output voltage and analog input voltage measurements.

MCC DEMO-BOARD devices simulated in InstaCal are not supported.

Can we get external triggering with LabView or LabWindows?