Adept DPCOMM error: failed to add device to device table

Mats1848

Question

We're using adept with JtagSmt2HS devices on multiple workplaces. At the beginning, DPCOMM is started up and we can set the alias name for the digilent jtag device. On one workplace, this is not working anymore. It refuses to write the given name to the table, showing the error "failed to add device to device table". 

The device itself is working, and any other name except the wanted one, can be given as alias. 

I re-installed already Digilent Adept, rebooted PC, etc. nothing helps. 

Using another PC, I can set the correct alias name on this board. 

I assume that the alias name is stored somewhere but DPCOMM does not read it correctly, but it's still there. So it can't re-write this alias name to the device table. If you could tell me where this device table is stored, I could delete it and things should go back to work. May you let me know what I could do to solve this issue? (Re-installing windows is not an option).

jtag_issue.png.8397c37e82e832761ee7fd9580368fc1.png

1 answer to this question

@Mats1848

I don't see any obvious issues with the information you've entered and underscore characters are valid in an alias. I'm guessing the device table file has been corrupted. Please perform the following steps to locate the device file:

1. In the windows search bar type "cmd" and then select "Command Prompt".
2. In the command prompt please type "echo %USERPROFILE%" and press enter. This should cause the path to your user profile to be displayed. It should be something like "C:\Users\John Doe".
3. Open file explorer and navigate to the directory that was listed for %USERPROFILE%.
4. Go into the "AppData directory. This is a hidden folder so you might have to type in a path such as "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData".
5. You will likely see 3 sub-directories: "Local", "LocalLow", and "Roaming". If "Roaming" exists then enter that folder and look for Digilent. If there's a Digilent folder enter that directory and if "dvctbl.txt" exists delete it. If you don't find "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Roaming\Digilent\dvctbl.txt" then you can try "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\Digilent\dvctbl.txt" and "C:\Users\John Doe\AppData\Local\Digilent\dvctbl.txt".

Please let me know if the issue persists after deleting dvctbl.txt.

Thanks,
Michael