DWF documentation issues

Question

Hi,

I am updating pydwf with the latest beta release (3.20.31). As part of that process, I am re-reading the documentation (dwfsdk.pdf), to merge the accumulated changes into the pydwf documentation. For now, this mostly concerns updating the enums. Concerning those, I have the following questions.

Section 2 , the DWFERC enumeration:

image.png.ab1845f0ab679b4c28cf59d4b53c3b05.png

The descriptions of values 1 and 2 are identical, which is not very useful - it may be a mistake. Could this be fixed?

Enum ACQMODE is defined inconsistently between section 5.2 and section 9.2, and ythe header file.

This is what section 5.2 says:

image.png.bd64c3e3ee2af8ce8102aaf17b1b39ba.png

This is what section 9.2 says:

image.png.754bd1f89e04de0057a3b6c8bb47268c.png

There's conflicted definitions for the values 5 and 6.

The dwf.h header file says this:

image.png.bb032c0539fe436315f7f0bb83ad9bbd.png

Which is, again, different.

I suppose this should be corrected.

Question: as mentioned before, I think the dwfsdk.pdf documentation has a lot of room for improvement. If useful, I could point out particular unclarities/omissions. Let me know if that is useful, or if the priority of improving the documentation is just too low for that.

Cheers Sidney

6 answers to this question

Hi @attila

Can you please also address the issue about the duplicate description in DWERC?

Can you please also address the question about whether or not it will be useful for me to point out which sections of the documentation are simply unclear to outsiders without intimate knowledge of the source code? As indicated earlier, I feel that dwfsdk.pdf is currently at the level of company-internal documentation, which means it is hard or impossible to understand some parts for outsiders like me. There's just a lot of context that's missing. For some of the finer points of DWF functionality, I've had to resort to experimentation to figure out what functions or enumeration options really do; and for some functions and enumeration options, I wouldn't know where to start.

I hope you agree that's not how it should be.