Installation of Adept Runtime on Debian 11 Docker Container

3NTHI0S

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to install the digilent adept runtime environment (v2.27.9, x86_64) for Debian 11 within a docker container. I'm running up against an issue when running the provided install script. The issue occurs when the digilentusb script is being copied into /etc/hotplug/usb/. The script cannot find the file /etc/hotplug/usb/digilentusb. I have apt installed libusb-1.0-0, which I believe to be the only prerequisite. I'm not entirely sure what is causing this error, do you have any suggestions?

I've attached the output log of the installer for reference

digilent-runtime-installer-output.log

7 answers to this question

@3NTHI0S

I suspect that they changed something and that the method the script uses to detect hotplug vs udev no longer works. I will spin up a Debian 11 VM and see if I can replicate the behavior. Just out of curiosity, have you tried installing our debian package? The tar.gz is really only meant for people who want to install the runtime on an OS that doesn't support .deb or .rpm packages.

Thanks,
Michael

@3NTHI0S

I setup Debian 11.7.0 in VirtualBox and was able to successfully install Adept Runtime 2.27.9 using the install script ("install.sh") included in the tar file. Please see the attached log.

Can you please try executing the following commands in the terminal and let me know if you see similar results:

malexander@debian-11-64bit:~/Downloads/digilent.adept.runtime_2.27.9-x86_64$ uname -r | cut -f 1 -d "."
malexander@debian-11-64bit:~/Downloads/digilent.adept.runtime_2.27.9-x86_64$ uname -r | cut -f 2 -d "."
malexander@debian-11-64bit:~/Downloads/digilent.adept.runtime_2.27.9-x86_64$ uname -r | cut -f 3 -d "." | cut -f 1 -d "-"
malexander@debian-11-64bit:~/Downloads/digilent.adept.runtime_2.27.9-x86_64$ ps -e | grep -i -c udevd

Thanks,
Michael

adept_install.log

In answer to your question as why the .deb package wasn't used - I honestly have no idea! I did try to install the runtime using the .deb package and it has worked! So that's good.

I'm still curious as to why it wouldn't install through the tar.gz

Hi @3NTHI0S

Sorry the delayed response - I've been traveling overseas for the past 2 weeks. Based on your console output it appears the issue is that the udevd process isn't running so the script assumes that hotplug is used, which is why you are receiving an error. I'm not sure why UDEV isn't running on your system, but without it you may not be able to access the device without root. I'm glad to hear that it works when using the debian package. At some point I might rewrite the script in the tar.gz to remove the check for UDEV vs hotplug but you are the first person to mention this issue and I have a lot of other things in my queue.

Thanks,
Michael